Ultra Lite mk3 S/PDIF out issue

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
subbireddy
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Ultra Lite mk3 S/PDIF out issue

Post by subbireddy »

Hi,

I have few questions regarding S/PDIF.

1. The output of S/PDIF is LPCM or not? and what is the bit rate and sample rate of S/PDIF out?
2. How to provide S/PDIF out to another device? What are the settings needs to do from cuemix and also MOTU audio console?

Please help me regarding this issue. I am not able to get audio from my device when i have give ultralite mk3 s/pdif out to my device. But i give Ultra lite mk3 analog out to my device able to get audio.

Please help me on this issue.
terrybritton

Re: Ultra Lite mk3 S/PDIF out issue

Post by terrybritton »

subbireddy wrote:Hi,

I have few questions regarding S/PDIF.

1. The output of S/PDIF is LPCM or not? and what is the bit rate and sample rate of S/PDIF out?
I use it every day. Bit rate always 24-bit and the sample rate follows the setting of the MOTU Audio console. Your receiving device may be limited as to what sample rate it can use. Set the receiving device sync to slave and the sending device sync to internal.
subbireddy wrote:2. How to provide S/PDIF out to another device? What are the settings needs to do from cuemix and also MOTU audio console?

Please help me regarding this issue. I am not able to get audio from my device when i have give ultralite mk3 s/pdif out to my device. But i give Ultra lite mk3 analog out to my device able to get audio.

Please help me on this issue.
What device? A mixer? A receiver? Some older receivers require SCMS (Serial Content Management System) copy protection codes are included and won't work. (My Yamaha is like that.)

Cuemix is for sending hardware inputs to hardware outputs (including the S/PDIF) - you handle sending to the S/PDIF from your DAW using settings in the DAW itself.

Terry
Computer: Sweetwater CS400v7 Intel Core i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz | 64Gigs RAM | Windows 11 Pro x64 |
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid

DAWs & Live: MOTU Digital Performer 11.31 | Cantabile Performer 4
Keyboard Synths: Kawai K5000s, Korg Wavestation
Controllers: NI Komplete Kontrol S-88 Mk3 & S-49 Mk2; Maschine Mk3 & JAM;
Akai MPK249 & 225, Alesis QX49, Behringer BCF2000 & FCB1010
Rack Modules: Ensoniq ESQm, Yamaha TX81Z, Wavestation SR

Tutorials: https://youtube.com/@CreatorsMediaTools
subbireddy

Post by subbireddy »

Thanks for the reply terry.

I have following hardware
1. MOTU Ultra lite mk3
2. Analog to digital converter device(https://www.amazon.in/Analog-Digital-Au ... B005F20756)
3. K2G Evm with Audio expansion. The K2G EVM has Optical/Coaxial(RCA) input and output ports.

Connection
-----------------
MOTU Ultralite mk3 Mains Out --> Analog to digital converter device --> K2G EVM Optical Input port
With This Audio working.

My requirement is we need to send S/PDIF output from Ultra lite MK3 device to K2G EVM.

Connection is like this

Ultra Lite mk3 S/PDIF output --> K2G EVM Coaxial Input

If i do above connection didn't hear any audio from K2G EVM device.

Please help me how to send S/PDIF output to another device.
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by mikehalloran »

I have one of those cheapo A/D converters. It is meant for home theater between a receiver and AV equipment where there’s a signal always present.

It is useless in a studio audio chain — it has to ‘wake up’ after a period of silence and so clips off the beginning of any signal. I tried one last year to try and solve some noise problems by substituting an optical connection for an analog. It worked but its shortcomings were readily apparent and I pulled it after about 15 minutes.

I should have returned it immediately but forgot. Now it sits in a box waiting to be recycled. Cost me about $16. Oh well...
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
terrybritton

Post by terrybritton »

I have no idea what the board's capabilities are (K2G Evm with Audio expansion).

I told you all one normally needs to know in the pro-audio world - connect the output to the input, set the sender's sync to "internal" and the receiving unit's sync to "slave". You may want to set the sample rate to 44100 in the MOTU Audio Console to set a baseline for expectations, though your unit could be set to expect 48000.

Otherwise, not enough information. My search for the above term (K2G Evm with Audio expansion) yielded only raw boards intended for developers. I have no clue what you are trying to do.

Good luck, though!

Terry
Computer: Sweetwater CS400v7 Intel Core i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz | 64Gigs RAM | Windows 11 Pro x64 |
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid

subbireddy

Post by subbireddy »

Hi Terry,

Where I have to set the following "set the sender's sync to "internal" and the receiving unit's sync to "slave" ". Mean in Cuemix or MOTU Audio console.

I have made already Master clock source as "Internal" in MOTU audio console.

And also the S/PDIF output of Ultra lite mk3 is Digital signal right?

I have made following changes in MOTU Audio console Ultra lite mk3 tab

Phones assign - S/PDIF 1-2
Main Out Assign - S/PDIF 1-2
Return Assign - S/PDIF 1-2

Please let me know whether those changes are correct or not.

If I change sample rate to 48Khz unable to play audio through Ultra lite mk3 device. If I set sample rate as 44.1Khz then only i can see the meter levels in Ultra lite mk3.
terrybritton

Post by terrybritton »

subbireddy wrote:Hi Terry,

Where I have to set the following "set the sender's sync to "internal" and the receiving unit's sync to "slave" ". Mean in Cuemix or MOTU Audio console.
Well, MOTU Audio Console for the sender's sync. I don't know where you would set the sync in the other (receiving) unit. It may set itself to slave automatically upon detecting a signal.
subbireddy wrote:I have made already Master clock source as "Internal" in MOTU audio console.
That is right.
subbireddy wrote:And also the S/PDIF output of Ultra lite mk3 is Digital signal right?
Digital entirely.
subbireddy wrote:I have made following changes in MOTU Audio console Ultra lite mk3 tab

Phones assign - S/PDIF 1-2
Main Out Assign - S/PDIF 1-2
Return Assign - S/PDIF 1-2

Please let me know whether those changes are correct or not.
You have that a bit confused. The "Assign" dropdown menus allow you to assign one of the outputs to go out those output ports (Phones, Main Out, Return)as well. So, you are sending anything you send out the S/PDIF port also out the Phones and Main Out jacks if using the settings you shared with me.

You do not need the "Return Assign" - that is for sending to the computer over the USB or Firewire for the DAW to use. Same principle applies - assigns what output port is going to also be sent to the return. A mix can be assigned from among the eight Cuemix mixes for the Return. But not relevant at all to your S/PDIF issue.

Set your assign settings back to Main Out = Main Out, and Phones to either Main Out or Phones (use the latter if actually setting up a separate Cuemix mix for the phones.)
subbireddy wrote:If I change sample rate to 48Khz unable to play audio through Ultra lite mk3 device. If I set sample rate as 44.1Khz then only i can see the meter levels in Ultra lite mk3.
I have a feeling you were crossing yourself up there doing several things at once. If not, turn off the Ultralite and turn it back on, and perhaps reboot the computer.

Good luck with this - I still have no idea if your receiving unit is compatible in any way, shape or form with this signal type. I'd need to be given a link to a spec sheet.

Terry
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid