A Video manual for 'Motu MIDI Express XT'

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
sam ca
Primary DAW OS: Windows

A Video manual for 'Motu MIDI Express XT'

Post by sam ca »

I recently added Motu's MIDI Express XT to my arsenal, and documented my experience with it as a Walk through video. There's a few differences between Mac and Pc when it comes to ClockWorks software.(With the current version you can not "rename" the ports and you can not drag-select check boxes/MIDI channels).

In case if you're new to this hardware, here it is:

https://youtu.be/l9kvIAG_vYE
terrybritton

Re: A Video manual for 'Motu MIDI Express XT'

Post by terrybritton »

Computer: Sweetwater CS400v7 Intel Core i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz | 64Gigs RAM | Windows 11 Pro x64 |
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid

DAWs & Live: MOTU Digital Performer 11.31 | Cantabile Performer 4
Keyboard Synths: Kawai K5000s, Korg Wavestation
Controllers: NI Komplete Kontrol S-88 Mk3 & S-49 Mk2; Maschine Mk3 & JAM;
Akai MPK249 & 225, Alesis QX49, Behringer BCF2000 & FCB1010
Rack Modules: Ensoniq ESQm, Yamaha TX81Z, Wavestation SR

Tutorials: https://youtube.com/@CreatorsMediaTools
EaglePerson
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by EaglePerson »

@Terrybritton

I recently picked up a Motu MIDI Express myself. I continue having this issue while using it with live + 3 different synthesizers.

My configuration is as follows:

Input 1: Akai MPK 61
Output 1: Synth 1
O2: Synth 2
O3: Synth 3

I use Live to configure all of my routing.

For some reason about every 6th note I play or trigger from Live has an infinite sustain. This occurs on all 3 synths.

I have determined that the Motu is causing the issue on the output signal because when I use the MIDI output from my audio interface the issue stops.

Any advice on how to fix the issue is greatly appreciated. Is there a way to update firmware?
Has anyone else had this issue?

Your help is much appreciated.
terrybritton

Post by terrybritton »

EaglePerson wrote:@Terrybritton

I recently picked up a Motu MIDI Express myself. I continue having this issue while using it with live + 3 different synthesizers.

My configuration is as follows:

Input 1: Akai MPK 61
Output 1: Synth 1
O2: Synth 2
O3: Synth 3

I use Live to configure all of my routing.

For some reason about every 6th note I play or trigger from Live has an infinite sustain. This occurs on all 3 synths.

I have determined that the Motu is causing the issue on the output signal because when I use the MIDI output from my audio interface the issue stops.

Any advice on how to fix the issue is greatly appreciated. Is there a way to update firmware?
Has anyone else had this issue?

Your help is much appreciated.
I had trouble with my PC only having USB3 ports. Even the "black" USB ports that were supposedly USB2 actually went to the same USB3 bus drivers, so there was no way to get a "pure" USB2 port for the MIDI Express XT. I bought an inexpensive USB2 external bus, and it solved all my problems.

I was getting an effect like a MIDI logjam every so many notes. The output would freeze and then suddenly burst out all the notes I had played that had piled up in the buffers.

Anyway, the USB2 bus worked wonders, and it has worked flawlessly ever since. If you have REAL USB2 ports in your unit, try using those, as these units do not seem to like USB3 ports.

Terry
Computer: Sweetwater CS400v7 Intel Core i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz | 64Gigs RAM | Windows 11 Pro x64 |
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid

DAWs & Live: MOTU Digital Performer 11.31 | Cantabile Performer 4
Keyboard Synths: Kawai K5000s, Korg Wavestation
Controllers: NI Komplete Kontrol S-88 Mk3 & S-49 Mk2; Maschine Mk3 & JAM;
Akai MPK249 & 225, Alesis QX49, Behringer BCF2000 & FCB1010
Rack Modules: Ensoniq ESQm, Yamaha TX81Z, Wavestation SR

Tutorials: https://youtube.com/@CreatorsMediaTools