828 MK3 GLITCH WORKAROUND CUBASE

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
PaPyKoG
Primary DAW OS: Windows

828 MK3 GLITCH WORKAROUND CUBASE

Post by PaPyKoG »

Let me start by saying MOTU need to step up their game in driver support, the last drivers for the 828 mk3 hybrid were released in 2015? Ca'mon guys, that is lame.

I have been having a major issue with Cubase 8.5 and the 828 mk3, pops and crackles, drop outs and even BSOD. It started when I set up a shortcut in Cubase to run the Izotope RX5 in the background for fixing bad audio. That is what it is designed for so you can use the RX connect on the fly to fix audio then send it back to the project. I am a sound designer and do a lot of mixing for films.

I tried a PCIE firewire card, re-installing drivers and changing from USB to firewire back and forth, buffer sizes, rolling back drivers, different PCIE slots and so on...

The work around for the glitchyness was to set the default audio output in windows 7 to Motu Main Out, then the RX5 to Motu Main Out then when I started Cubase set that to Generic Low Latency ASIO Driver which you can choose to run through the Motu Main Out. The glitches stopped, granted the latency is awful (40ms) but for editing and mixing it is fine. Then if I want to record I can make sure the RX5 is not running, change Cubase back to Motu ASIO Main Out and choose a low buffer size.

This is my workaround for editing in Cubase using the 828 mk3 Hybrid. I was so close to forking out £580 for an RME Raydat card and using the 828 through the Adat, glad I could figure it out as I am in the middle of several projects and it was becoming a nightmare.

I just wanted to let people know in case other people can use this workaround, hope this helps.
terrybritton

Re: 828 MK3 GLITCH WORKAROUND CUBASE

Post by terrybritton »

I used a different workaround. I went into the device manager and disabled the "MOTU Audio Wave 64-Bit" driver, which is the Windows Audio driver for the 828. That thing would go crazy every time it encountered a sample rate change, as the driver does not do sample-rate conversion, but rather changes the internal settings inside the box itself, and in so doing manifests much mayhem.

So, now I can use the MOTU Audio driver (the ASIO one) without issue.

To get my Windows audio into the MOTU 828 I employ Voicemeeter, setting its A1 output to the 828 ASIO (bottom-most item on my machine), and then set it (Voicemeeter) as the default audio device for Windows playback and record. I haven't had a glitch since (almost a year now). Voicemeeter happily performs sample-rate conversions on-the-fly, so that never exists as an issue anymore.

Voicemeeter Regular [EDIT: Free to use unrestricted donationware]
http://www.vb-audio.com/Voicemeeter/index.htm

Voicemeeter Pro "Banana" [EDIT: Free to use unrestricted donationware]
http://www.vb-audio.com/Voicemeeter/banana.htm

Very excellent solution for me. Now I can work with Digital Performer, Cakewalk Sonar Platinum, Samplitude, and Cantabile 3 all via ASIO and leave Voicemeeter to handle my Windows Audio needs (like media players, YouTube videos and other browser audio, etc.)

Terry
Last edited by terrybritton on Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Computer: Sweetwater CS400v7 Intel Core i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz | 64Gigs RAM | Windows 11 Pro x64 |
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid

DAWs & Live: MOTU Digital Performer 11.31 | Cantabile Performer 4
Keyboard Synths: Kawai K5000s, Korg Wavestation
Controllers: NI Komplete Kontrol S-88 Mk3 & S-49 Mk2; Maschine Mk3 & JAM;
Akai MPK249 & 225, Alesis QX49, Behringer BCF2000 & FCB1010
Rack Modules: Ensoniq ESQm, Yamaha TX81Z, Wavestation SR

Tutorials: https://youtube.com/@CreatorsMediaTools
PaPyKoG

Post by PaPyKoG »

Thanks for your reply. At first I thought you were advertising VB-Audio Voicemeeter but as I see it is a free download, will have to look into this although now I have it all working I might have to leave it alone for a while...
Last edited by PaPyKoG on Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
terrybritton

Post by terrybritton »

Ahh, yes - I should add the "FREE" note to that post! :-)

Well, it is donationware, technically, but is free to download and use as much as you like with no restrictions on it. Really a great program.

Terry
Computer: Sweetwater CS400v7 Intel Core i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz | 64Gigs RAM | Windows 11 Pro x64 |
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid

PaPyKoG

Post by PaPyKoG »

Unfortunately this didn't work for me, still getting Glitches, pops and crackles in Cubase even after downloading and installing Voicemeeter. Followed your steps and found another post you made. Tried everything but the way I have fixed it is by routing the way I explained above. Boo :(

UPDATE: infact since I have installed and unistalled Voicemeeter my solution does not work now, slightly bemused. I have enabled the Windows 64bit Motu Driver again, still nothing. back to square one. Fuk Motu on Windows. :deadhorse:
terrybritton

Post by terrybritton »

Just wondering - had you started Cubase FIRST and then started Voicemeeter? It seems to be sensitive to the order the two are started up.

I would just leave the MOTU Audio Wave 64 driver disabled and find a different solution if Voicemeeter cannot be made to work, frankly. I've been through every iteration of settings for the MOTU Audio Wave 64-bit drivers and none of them were stable EVER. (Well, they DO change the sample rate inside the box, after all...)

Terry
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid

HCMarkus
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by HCMarkus »

You might give MOTU a call in the morning and see if they can assist. Sorry for your troubles; such a pain!
PaPyKoG

Post by PaPyKoG »

Thanks for your replies guys, was feeling a bit frustrated with it earlier today. Came into my studio to work and ended up faffing about with drivers...
:banghead:
I managed to get it working the same way I found my initial workaround. Installed ASIO4ALL drivers, which are horribly glitchy then un-installed them after finding out how glitchy they were. Tried the Low Latency ASIO generic drivers in Cubase with RX set to MOTU main out and Windows set to MOTU Main Out and boom it works again, no glitches or pops or crackles and I can have Cubase, RX5 and browser playing audio again. Oh what a strange morning!

Why can't MOTU update their drivers? I have already spent £600 on their hardware and I know they are releasing new drivers for Mac OS for their older gear... It is just lame, lazy and fairly insulting to people who want to use and have paid for their hardware. I wish I knew about this nonsense with MOTU and Windows, I never would have bought it and would have forked out more money on a working piece of kit like an RME box, they apparently have some of the best drivers out there!

MOTU step up your game.
PaPyKoG

Post by PaPyKoG »

Update: Bought an RME Babyface Pro, running the MOTU 828mk3 through it via Adat. So far flawless, RME drivers are awesome. At least now I can use the MOTU as an input machine and haven't lost full use of it, plus I have a portable studio grade soundcard for my travels! Happy days
terrybritton

Post by terrybritton »

PaPyKoG wrote:Update: Bought an RME Babyface Pro, running the MOTU 828mk3 through it via Adat. So far flawless, RME drivers are awesome. At least now I can use the MOTU as an input machine and haven't lost full use of it, plus I have a portable studio grade soundcard for my travels! Happy days
Super! I may soon follow your lead! :-)

Terry
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid

PaPyKoG

Post by PaPyKoG »

honestly, I work as a sound designer and after listening to a few current projects with the change from Motu to RME I think the AD/DA conversion is better on the RME. I am hearing things that I possibly missed or with more clarity now... Mental as I really didnt think there would be that much change but there is.
PaPyKoG

Post by PaPyKoG »

honestly, I work as a sound designer and after listening to a few current projects with the change from Motu to RME I think the AD/DA conversion is better on the RME. I am hearing things that I possibly missed or with more clarity now... Mental as I really didnt think there would be that much change but there is.
PaPyKoG

Post by PaPyKoG »