Using MOTU micro lite with another interface?

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
PoliticalBonobo
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Using MOTU micro lite with another interface?

Post by PoliticalBonobo »

I'd like to start sequencing notes in DP and have them trigger hardware synths or sequencers. The problem is, my interface (and Apollo Quad Firewire) does not have a MIDI out.

I was looking at the MOTU micro lite MIDI interface, but could this be used in conjunction with my Apollo interface? A sales rep at sweetwater told me I could set up an "aggregate", but I'm worried this may complicate my setup.

Is there a different method I should be using?
DP9.5 64bit, Windows 10 Pro 64bit, UA Apollo Quad FireWire interface, Desktop: Intel i7 5820K at 4.0ghz, MSI X99A Gaming 7 mobo, 48gb RAM (DDR4 at 2133 mhz), MSI GTX 960 2GD5T 2GB, 512GB Samsung 950 Pro m.2 SSD (project/system drive). VEP 6
bayswater
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Using MOTU micro lite with another interface?

Post by bayswater »

I don't think you'd need to deal with aggregate devices. DP can see individual audio and MIDI interfaces and deal with each of them as they are as long as any necessary CoreAudio and CoreMIDI drivers are installed. Some other DAWs can't deal with multiple audio interfaces and need to use aggregate devices. But for MIDI devices like the Micro Lite, aggregate devices are not even relevant.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
PoliticalBonobo

bayswater wrote:I don't think you'd need to deal with aggregate devices. DP can see individual audio and MIDI interfaces and deal with each of them as they are as long as any necessary CoreAudio and CoreMIDI drivers are installed. Some other DAWs can't deal with multiple audio interfaces and need to use aggregate devices. But for MIDI devices like the Micro Lite, aggregate devices are not even relevant.
Wow, that would be awesome. Will I then be able to select a Micro Lite channel output on a MIDI track?
DP9.5 64bit, Windows 10 Pro 64bit, UA Apollo Quad FireWire interface, Desktop: Intel i7 5820K at 4.0ghz, MSI X99A Gaming 7 mobo, 48gb RAM (DDR4 at 2133 mhz), MSI GTX 960 2GD5T 2GB, 512GB Samsung 950 Pro m.2 SSD (project/system drive). VEP 6
terrybritton

Post by terrybritton »

MIDI and ASIO are different beasts, so the salesman at that store was leading you in the wrong thinking direction.

A MIDI interface like the Micro Lite is not an ASIO interface, and so should work just fine.

As to ASIO, you are on Windows, and that does not have an "aggregate" feature, which is a feature in Core Audio for Macs. Windows only allows one ASIO hardware device at a time. But, that is not an issue in this case.

Terry
Computer: Sweetwater CS400v7 Intel Core i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz | 64Gigs RAM | Windows 11 Pro x64 |
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid

DAWs & Live: MOTU Digital Performer 11.31 | Cantabile Performer 4
Keyboard Synths: Kawai K5000s, Korg Wavestation
Controllers: NI Komplete Kontrol S-88 Mk3 & S-49 Mk2; Maschine Mk3 & JAM;
Akai MPK249 & 225, Alesis QX49, Behringer BCF2000 & FCB1010
Rack Modules: Ensoniq ESQm, Yamaha TX81Z, Wavestation SR

Tutorials: https://youtube.com/@CreatorsMediaTools
bayswater
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by bayswater »

PoliticalBonobo wrote:
bayswater wrote:I don't think you'd need to deal with aggregate devices. DP can see individual audio and MIDI interfaces and deal with each of them as they are as long as any necessary CoreAudio and CoreMIDI drivers are installed. Some other DAWs can't deal with multiple audio interfaces and need to use aggregate devices. But for MIDI devices like the Micro Lite, aggregate devices are not even relevant.
Wow, that would be awesome. Will I then be able to select a Micro Lite channel output on a MIDI track?
If you have installed the drivers for a the MIDI devices attached to the Micro Lite, you can go to the Tracks window and assign MIDI channel output to one of the 16 MIDI channels on one of the ports on the Micro Lite.

Note that Terry says -- don't confuse audio and MIDI.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
PoliticalBonobo

Thanks, guys. To digress a little, I glanced at the Micro Express USB interface, which has SMPTE in/out. I currently use a slave computer with DP9 to stream the video that I am scoring over LAN. There's always delay when I Play/Stop the video. It's not a killer by any means, but I'm wondering if there's a better way to sync my video using this interface with SMPTE in/out. Or is that really only geared towards old analog equipment and that won't help me here?
terrybritton

Post by terrybritton »

PoliticalBonobo wrote:Thanks, guys. To digress a little, I glanced at the Micro Express USB interface, which has SMPTE in/out. I currently use a slave computer with DP9 to stream the video that I am scoring over LAN. There's always delay when I Play/Stop the video. It's not a killer by any means, but I'm wondering if there's a better way to sync my video using this interface with SMPTE in/out. Or is that really only geared towards old analog equipment and that won't help me here?
I've never seen SMPTE that didn't have that delay - not sure why. (Probably to do with "chasing".) You might see if it your DAW will send MTC or MMC instead (or also), as they might not have the delay.

Terry
Computer: Sweetwater CS400v7 Intel Core i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz | 64Gigs RAM | Windows 11 Pro x64 |
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid

DAWs & Live: MOTU Digital Performer 11.31 | Cantabile Performer 4
Keyboard Synths: Kawai K5000s, Korg Wavestation
Controllers: NI Komplete Kontrol S-88 Mk3 & S-49 Mk2; Maschine Mk3 & JAM;
Akai MPK249 & 225, Alesis QX49, Behringer BCF2000 & FCB1010
Rack Modules: Ensoniq ESQm, Yamaha TX81Z, Wavestation SR

Tutorials: https://youtube.com/@CreatorsMediaTools