MOTU Ultralitemk3 Windows Audio Problem

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
Arcanon10
Primary DAW OS: Windows

MOTU Ultralitemk3 Windows Audio Problem

Post by Arcanon10 »

Hey all :)

Short version:

Windows Media Player and YouTube will not play any sound through my Ultralitemk3. I get 0 sound from the computer itself. However, Kontakt player/ Best Service Engine player and Pro Tools have no issue playing sounds. I can record and playback music all day in Pro Tools but the moment I bounce it to a WAV or MP3 ... nothing, no sound, no playback from those finished files.

Longer version:

This problem started about a month ago and I still have not found a solution. All sound coming from my computer into the Ultralite is completely gone. Youtube or anything online will have 0 sound. There are no system sounds. WMP gives me this error message, "Windows Media Player cannot play the file. The Player might not support the file type or might not support the codec that was used to compress the file."

I get that error message every time I try to open and MP3 or Wave. However, this is true only when the Ultralite is turn on. If I leave it powered off, MP3's will start up and play.

Any sound played from Kontakt libraries or Pro Tools will play just fine. So strange. I have uninstalled/reinstalled WMP, updated codecs. Updated the Ultralite. Still no progress. This was not happening a month ago and I really can't figure out what triggered it.

My setup is

Windows 10 64bit
Pro Tools 10
MOTU Ultralitemk3 (fully updated firmware/drivers)

Anyone experience this? Thanks
terrybritton
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Re: MOTU Ultralitemk3 Windows Audio Problem

Post by terrybritton »

Just one first guess - do you by any chance have the sample rate up high, at 88,200 or 96,000? Those might not be compatible with the files you are attempting to play.

Second guess is that the Windows Audio Control Panel's Default Playback device is set to something odd, not to the MOTU Main Out (or whatever out you send to the amp).

Terry
Computer: Sweetwater CS400v7 Intel Core i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz | 64Gigs RAM | Windows 11 Pro x64 |
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid

DAWs & Live: MOTU Digital Performer 11.31 | Cantabile Performer 4
Keyboard Synths: Kawai K5000s, Korg Wavestation
Controllers: NI Komplete Kontrol S-88 Mk3 & S-49 Mk2; Maschine Mk3 & JAM;
Akai MPK249 & 225, Alesis QX49, Behringer BCF2000 & FCB1010
Rack Modules: Ensoniq ESQm, Yamaha TX81Z, Wavestation SR

Tutorials: https://youtube.com/@CreatorsMediaTools