Motu 8a Windows 10 issues

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
rean1mator
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Motu 8a Windows 10 issues

Post by rean1mator »

Hi All,
anyone on here have a stable configuration under Windows 10 and a Motu 8A?

I"m having the hardest time getting my system stable both on my Desktop PC(i7, 3.6GHZ) and my fairly new Microsoft Surfacebook pro using USB 3.0.

Had a ticket open with Motu on teh desktop issue and they just ended up blaming the usb 3.0 port on the desktop. ended up buying a usb pci card and it's mostly working but i'm getting a lot of crashes lately. I also have a motu 16a which i'm connecting to the 8a via avb and my 8a connected to usb 3.0 port. I bought the 8a to hopefully take advantage of the usb 3.0 speeds. But the 8a just seems super buggy right now.

had a rock solid set up on my 16a. is it time to give up on the 8a? thinking about selling it and going and getting another 16a to daisy chain to instead.

I've wasted far too long trying to get it stable. any suggestions or tips?
rean1mator

Re: Motu 8a Windows 10 issues

Post by rean1mator »

Well, it looks like this new driver and firmware just released has fixed my issues with crashing. downloaded both and installed this morning and have been running all day since install with out a single hitch. based on the lack of response to my question, am i the only person, having issues with windows 10 and/or usb 3.0? just curious.
retango
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by retango »

Hi! Same here, can't make it work on Win10 and USB 3.0.. Firmware 1.3.1.81, with an Asus Maximus IX (Z270 Chipset). Tried with both USB 3.0 (Intel) and 3.1 (ASMedia), with no luck..only workin on USB 2.0..
Could you fix your issue, is it working for you now?
Thanks a lot!
retango

Post by retango »

Received this from Motu support... 8A is not actually USB3 compliant.. it works only on SOME, not all, USB 3 interfaces...Most ASUS Intel Z270 Mobos come with ASMedia controller and will not work with the 8A.

"Thanks for writing. I regret to inform you that we have seen such issues with ASMedia USB3 cards. The solution to this is to use USB2 or a USB card that does not posses the ASMedia Chipset. I apologize for any inconvenience."
rean1mator

Post by rean1mator »

fck me...just installed the latest firmware for 8a and updated motu audio drivers and now my audio issues have returned. the audio keeps dropping out after a while. in ableton I have to disable and reenable audio again to get audio back only for the problem to return. I uninstalled everything and went back to the previous version firmware and drivers and now the problem is still there. everything was working fine until my firmware and driver install. is there a special process for uninstalling motu drivers? i just went in to device manager and did an uninstall and then wen in to control panel and removed the software.
ncpianodude

Post by ncpianodude »

Interesting - has anyone figured this out? So am I reading this correctly that the Motu 8a doesn't work with USB3? I get it to work great - using toontrack solo - Superior Drummer open and Ableton - use output 1-8 and then adat out 9-16 (assigned to toontrack solo) it will work for about 15-20 mins then it shows its still initiated but crashes the driver. This happens despite turning one or the other off. Like the audio drops but doesn't show it as dropped in the hardware section. Any fix? I have no issues with this same setup on MacBook pro.
joelbarrette

Post by joelbarrette »

To anyone that has a similar issue like this with my 8a I've just spent the last few months troubleshooting this issue and found the solution. I was getting all kinds of intermittent problems. I think although they claimed to have released an update to help with the ASmedia chipset I don't think it's resolved.

On the troubleshooting page the recommend picking up a Inatek (Fresco Logic) USB 3 PCIe add-in card, I bought the KT4006 which I've linked below and even when I first plugged that in let MS install the drivers and I was still having problems. The Motu was not showing up in USB 3 mode and using a tool called WhoCrashed I could see that the Motu audio driver wasn't getting loaded which was weird. so I ended up downloading the latest drivers from the Fresco Logic site and fully removing and re-adding the device in device manager. After a quick reboot I could see that the Motu was indeed getting loaded and was working but only for about 10 seconds before I got a BSOD. This BSOD error was KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE and was caused by the Fresco Logic driver.

I rebooted and tried a bunch of other USB3 devices and had no problems so I was very confused, while I was able to get the MOTU to finally show up in USB3 mode it was instantly causing a crash. As a last ditch effort I un-installed and reset the Inatek USB PCIe drivers to the Microsoft ones and also tried re-installing the MOTU pro audio drivers.

After another reboot I was able to finally see the MotuProAudio.sys driver loaded so I think that the key is to fully un-install the Motu drivers, add the Inatek card, allow it to install the standard MS drivers (for reference myine is the Fresco Logiv USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller - 1.0 Microsoft Version 10.0.17763) then install the MOTU pro audio drivers after.

Hope this helps someone!

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00JFR ... UTF8&psc=1