Oh No - Major Ultralite Mk3 Win 7 Problems

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
neonjung
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Oh No - Major Ultralite Mk3 Win 7 Problems

Post by neonjung »

So I just bought a used mk3 hybrid, fired it up and immediately displayed odd behaviour so I started googling and found people on the web and on this forum had the same problems - sound cuts out to high pitched rining, shows signal input on channel 6 and SPDIF when there's nothing going into either, USB 3 issues, WDM etc etc. So is there a solution to this or am I screwed? Will buying a firewire pci card fix this? How's about Win 8.1? Also, cue mix doesn't display any of outputs when I 'focus' them, it will only show me my focused inputs - is that normal??

Any help much appreciated!
terrybritton
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Re: Oh No - Major Ultralite Mk3 Win 7 Problems

Post by terrybritton »

I used to have those problems, but a few things I did made them all go away.

I use USB, not Firewire.

Make sure your current is stable (no brownouts or heavy loads on the same circuit breaker). Brownouts, in my experience, can cause the unit to lose sync and re-establish its sample rate. That is one thing that causes the squeal.

But so does Windows source sample rate changes. Disable the Motu Audio Wave device in the device manager. (Leave the MOTU Audio driver, as that is the driver for the USB connection.) Just don't use the MOTU Wave stuff - if you must use system audio through this, use Voicemeeter instead for that, as it does sample rate conversion without causing the box to change sample rates internally.

There is a recent thread on doing that here.

(Just a note: Digital Performer doesn't work through Voicemeeter's ASIO input for some reason, likely to do with the way Bundles are connected to everything at once. Direct DP directly to the MOTU ASIO if you are using DP. You'll have to shut down Voicemeeter if it is set to a different sample rate than DP wants to be set at.)

Lastly, if you've been troubleshooting and uninstalled and reinstalled several times, moving the USB connector and such, then you may need to go into the device manager after uninstalling and get rid of all the rogue instances sitting in there asking for trouble. See this post on that, but hopefully you will be ok with the other items applied.

Once I took care of the above details, I have not lost sync or experienced any interruptions to my 828 mk3 hybrid in the last 5 months or so. Same goes for my Ultralite mk3 hybrid unit, which suffered from the exact same symptoms.

Terry
Computer: Sweetwater CS400v7 Intel Core i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz | 64Gigs RAM | Windows 11 Pro x64 |
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid

DAWs & Live: MOTU Digital Performer 11.31 | Cantabile Performer 4
Keyboard Synths: Kawai K5000s, Korg Wavestation
Controllers: NI Komplete Kontrol S-88 Mk3 & S-49 Mk2; Maschine Mk3 & JAM;
Akai MPK249 & 225, Alesis QX49, Behringer BCF2000 & FCB1010
Rack Modules: Ensoniq ESQm, Yamaha TX81Z, Wavestation SR

Tutorials: https://youtube.com/@CreatorsMediaTools