MOTU Audio Express not recognised by Win 7

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
rayharris108
Primary DAW OS: Windows

MOTU Audio Express not recognised by Win 7

Post by rayharris108 »

Hi Community,

I just bought an Audio Express which installed and seems to be working fine in itself. I saw an item on this forum from 2 years ago which referred to USB 3 drivers being problematic on Win 7. But I understand the latest drivers are compatatible.

My MOTU unit is using a USB 2 socket at the rear of the PC. The speaker icon on the system tray is showing a red circle and white cross so Windows cannot see the driver even though it said it had installed successfully.

Any ideas? I'm getting rather fed up with this and Im sure I'm not the first. Would really appreciate some advice.

I'd rather not have to uninstall USB 3 for other reasons.

Appreciated in advance.

Kind regards,

Ray
rayharris108
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Re: MOTU Audio Express not recognised by Win 7

Post by rayharris108 »

Hi All,

No worries,

Got it all working. I had apparently interrupted the original install by saying no to it looking for drivers on Windows Update. I had already installed the latest drivers on my PC.

Then my main issue once it was properly installed was I couldn't get any sound on my Headphones.

Partly due to further research on this forum; in case anyone is interested, this is what I did (on my Win 7 PC - your needs may differ depending on your setup):
1. Reinstalled drivers as per strict instructions - deleted all previous versions in Win device mgr - reboot - install - reboot - connect.
2. In windows mix console ensure all sample rates are set the same for MOTU devices in the DAW, and for all Windows devices.(48KHz in my case)
3. In MOTU Audio console ensure Headphones tab is patched to Main Outs.
4. Ensured Phones button pressed until Red LED (+main) was steady and lit.
5. Suddenly it all works!!

In other words; mostly RFM..lol

My reward?: Compared to my Focusrite 2i2 (2nd gen) very marked difference - much thicker, more detailed and richer sound.

And after all it's really all about the difference.

Regeards to all

Ray