MOTU Ultralite Mk4, glitching, dropouts and the X99 chipset

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
mlnoid
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Re: MOTU Ultralite Mk4, glitching, dropouts and the X99 chip

Post by mlnoid »

hey guys,

i have the same problem. i´ve got the motu 828x and a z97 mainbord.

i tried to use the voicemeeter application like you said, but i cant get any audio signal out of my interface after deactivating the Audio Wave for 64 bit.

has anybody an idea what i could have done wrong?

why do they dont care about the windows users? i cant understand ..
terrybritton

Post by terrybritton »

mlnoid wrote:hey guys,

i have the same problem. i´ve got the motu 828x and a z97 mainbord.

i tried to use the voicemeeter application like you said, but i cant get any audio signal out of my interface after deactivating the Audio Wave for 64 bit.

has anybody an idea what i could have done wrong?

why do they dont care about the windows users? i cant understand ..
You have to set Voicemeeter up as the default playback and record device in the Windows Audio control panel, and set the A1 output of Voicemeeter to the ASIO MOTU 828. Then Voicemeeter takes over the tasks previously performed by MOTU Audio Wave for 64 bit, but includes software sample-rate-conversion as a feature.

Terry
Computer: Sweetwater CS400v7 Intel Core i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz | 64Gigs RAM | Windows 11 Pro x64 |
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid

DAWs & Live: MOTU Digital Performer 11.31 | Cantabile Performer 4
Keyboard Synths: Kawai K5000s, Korg Wavestation
Controllers: NI Komplete Kontrol S-88 Mk3 & S-49 Mk2; Maschine Mk3 & JAM;
Akai MPK249 & 225, Alesis QX49, Behringer BCF2000 & FCB1010
Rack Modules: Ensoniq ESQm, Yamaha TX81Z, Wavestation SR

Tutorials: https://youtube.com/@CreatorsMediaTools
rwandering

Post by rwandering »

I have a MOTU Ultralite AVB and was having these same problems, plus a very strange recording artifact with X99 chipset. MOTU has been pretty consistent about this -- for years -- that the X99 does not correctly handle all USB modes as advertised. I don't know if they could have worked around it, but they certainly have decided not to.

I figured the strange artifacts were evidence of a problem in the Ultralite itself, but turns out it was the chipset.

I switched to a different machine -- different chipset -- and the Ultralite works great.

I do think MOTU should post this x99 incompatibility on their site.
Robert W. Anderson
----
MOTU 828es (had an Ultralite original, mk3, and AVB)
Helix & Clarett+Octopre
Presonus S1 (formerly Sonar)
PreSonus MonitorStation
Event Biamplified 20/20
Primarily play PRS, Gibson Les Paul & EC-30.
EnderUckun

Post by EnderUckun »

Dear all,

Please help. I am an engineer. As a non-professional musician, I had purchased an Ultralite Mk3 in 2015. But I am setting up my recording hardware just nowadays for some reasons. I have three problems that I couldn't solve, spending more than 4 weeks. I am really so frustrated.

1. In a completely unstable and unpredictible way, my MOTU Ultralite Mk3 does not give output to the computer time to time. In other words, CueMix does not display any input or output from the device and I experience this very frequently (almost 60% of new-power on's). I am restarting, updating again or turning it to its factory presets to get rid of this problem. But sometimes it's working normally as it should be when I power on the device. This is realy annoying.

There is another interesting thing... Most of the times when this trouble occurs, Analog Output#6 on the LCD display of the device seems to give a constant output, which doesn't exist in reality. By the way, may be meaningless but I am just choosing 1 I and 1 O in the DAW just not to load the CPU.

2. I am hearing "panning" crackles from right and left monitors especially when the DAW is open. I checked sampling rates and all other non-advanced parameters that I know hundreds of times. But no result! Crackles are still there and I can not record neither MIDI, soft synth nor audio tracks. There is no latency but even in the recording of the first audio or MIDI track, sound starts to be distorted and record damages (I am hearing this bad sound instantaneously through my headphone while recording). I couldn't solve these crackles and damaged track record.
3. 48V phantom power of my Input 1 and 2 does not work when I connect my condenser mic to any of those. I am checking it in the Ultralite' menu and phantoms are displayed as "N/A". But I can activate both when I disconnect mic's TRS connector. This means device is ok. Doesn't?

Here is my hardware details:

-HP ENVY 15 Notebook / x64-based PC
-Microsoft Windows 7 Professional /6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 7601
-Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4510U CPU @ 2.00GHz, 2601 Mhz
-BIOS: Insyde F.09, 04.08.2014
-SMBIOS: 2.8
-RAM: 16,0 GB
-Sound Device#1: Realtek High Definition Audio (HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10EC&DEV_0290&SUBSYS_103C228D&REV_1000\4&3CDB74B&0&0001)
-Sound Device#2: NVIDIA Virtual Audio Device (Wave Extensible) (WDM) (ROOT\UNNAMED_DEVICE\0000)
-DAW: SONAR Platinum V21
-Audio Interface: MOTU Ultralite MK3 (4.0.6.6814)
-MIDI Keyboard: M-Audio Keystation MINI-32
-MIDI Keyboard: Miditech i2 Control 61
-Microphone: SAMSON C-01 Studio Condenser

I just do not understand something. I was using a PC 10 years ago with a Creative Audigy 2S sound card and a Cakewalk DAW. I never experienced these kind of things. It's even more annoying to struggle with these things with such much more powerful setup.

Trials for troubleshooting:
1. Different cables
2. Different DAW settings (SONAR Platinum, many trials)
3. Different DAW drivers (swithching to ASIO, WDM, WASAPI, MME)
4. Different DAW's (Cubase, Ableton Live)
5. Different computers (both laptops)
6. MOTU Ultralite Mk3 firmware updates
7. MOTU Ultralite Mk3 factory settings

Parameters/devices that I couldn't check with another one:
1. Another condenser mic
2. Another Windows OS (all trials were done by Win7)

This is also what I reported to MOTU. Many thanks in advance.
terrybritton

Post by terrybritton »

EnderUckun wrote:Dear all,
EnderUckun, I suppose you are new to forums generally as well. You would be much better served to paste this entire post into a NEW topic thread in the same area. Only people following this old thread would see your message piggybacked on top of it. Your post was quite detailed and deserves to be seen.

See you in the new thread.

Terry
Computer: Sweetwater CS400v7 Intel Core i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz | 64Gigs RAM | Windows 11 Pro x64 |
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid

DAWs & Live: MOTU Digital Performer 11.31 | Cantabile Performer 4
Keyboard Synths: Kawai K5000s, Korg Wavestation
Controllers: NI Komplete Kontrol S-88 Mk3 & S-49 Mk2; Maschine Mk3 & JAM;
Akai MPK249 & 225, Alesis QX49, Behringer BCF2000 & FCB1010
Rack Modules: Ensoniq ESQm, Yamaha TX81Z, Wavestation SR

Tutorials: https://youtube.com/@CreatorsMediaTools