Problem with Motu 2408 mk3 as standalone format converter

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
wm_b
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Problem with Motu 2408 mk3 as standalone format converter

Post by wm_b »

Hi, I'm new here.

I have had a 2408 for many years that has served me in many ways but most recently I've been using it as a format converter to go from ADAT to TDIF on one bank only. I've recently had a need to use more than one bank of ADAT to TDIF conversion but I cannot get it to work.

I have 2 ADAT sources that I'm interfacing with TDIF inputs on a Tascam DM3200. When I set the Source on the 2408 to ADAT A, B, C and input unique signals on those respective banks I can see corroborating signal indication in the TDIF signal meters below (below the ADAT input indicators). However, when I try to get this signal to present itself on the Tascam mixer it doesn't work. If I change the source on the 2408 to A, or B, or C then I see the whatever signal is present at the single source bank reproduced on all TDIF banks. I can also get this signal to come out of the Tascam mixer.

I know I am clocked correctly and that my mixer is setup to receive signal from the TDIF inputs. What I don't understand is that according to the 2408 user manual I should be able to use it in the fashion I've described. Am I doing something wrong? Does this work for anyone else? I bought this unit new in 2004 and it has never had any problems when I was using it with the 424 card.

Thanks for your input.

For the record, I'm using all this stuff on a windows computer.
EMRR
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Problem with Motu 2408 mk3 as standalone format converte

Post by EMRR »

I don't think I've tried to route two ADAT sources. There are quite a few posts about standalone mode, thought they may be hard to search.

Most are along these lines:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=31472
Doug Williams
Electromagnetic Radiation Recorders
The Martha Bassett Show broadcast mixer
Tape Op issue 73

DP 11.31
Studio M1 Max OS12.7.3
MOTU 16A and Monitor 8
M1 Pro MBP for remotes and editing
wm_b
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Re: Problem with Motu 2408 mk3 as standalone format converte

Post by wm_b »

[quote="EMRR"]I don't think I've tried to route two ADAT sources. There are quite a few posts about standalone mode, thought they may be hard to search.

Most are along these lines:

Hi Doug, according to that post in the link it sounds like what I'm trying to do should work perfectly.

My source is set to ADAT A-C and my TDIF outputs are connected correctly but nothing is actually being output at all. I can only get converted output if I set the source as ADAT A or B or C. The indicator LEDs show what would be the expected activity for unique conversion across ADAT A-C but unfortunately there is no output.

I'm just trying to confirm that this feature is broken or incorrectly documented to exist.