896 Mk3 Hybrid - burst of loud noise, left channel

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
billruys
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

896 Mk3 Hybrid - burst of loud noise, left channel

Post by billruys »

Hi Guys,

I'm a long time PCIe-424 series owner, but recently picked up a used 896 Mk3 Hybrid which I'm running in Windows 10 x64. When I use the unit in Sonar via its ASIO drivers, it works great with no issues. However, if I used it as the default playback device for windows and try to play anything, from a mp3 to a Youtube video, I get about a half second blast of full volume audio out of the left speaker when I start playback.

I have a pair of studio monitors and they are very loud unless I have the output levels on the 896 down quite low. It almost seems like the 896 goes to full volume for half a second or so.

This is the only problem I've experienced with the unit and it seems more of a driver thing than a hardware fault to me.

Anyone experienced this before?
Schafe
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Re: 896 Mk3 Hybrid - burst of loud noise, left channel

Post by Schafe »

Yes I am getting this. It almost seems every time I start this piece of •••• I'm not sure if it will smash my ear drum again or not.. I am starting to really dislike this Motu 896 MK3.
Windows 10, Motu 896MK3, Berhinger eurolive B208D powered speakers, Roland A-800 Pro Keyboard Controller, Roland TD-3 (Hybrid) V-Drums, Guitars, Sax, Fiddles and things.
scrollpointclick

Post by scrollpointclick »

So it's not just me! This is getting horrendous. I've deduced that it is the unit itself that is sending out these ludicrous signals in an attempt to murder my studio monitors. Having unplugged the 896mk3 from the computer and removing all lines going into the device, the signal can't be coming from anywhere else.

I've had the device for 3-4 years now and this has happened periodically, but recently it's been a 10-20 times a day ordeal.
terrybritton

Post by terrybritton »

Disable the troublesome "MOTU Audio Wave for 64-bit" drivers if using Windows. Don't bother trying to use the device as your Windows audio default playback device - use something dependable that does sample-rate conversion on-the-fly like Voicemeeter for that instead, with the 896 set as the A1 ASIO playback device.

Terry
Computer: Sweetwater CS400v7 Intel Core i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz | 64Gigs RAM | Windows 11 Pro x64 |
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid

DAWs & Live: MOTU Digital Performer 11.31 | Cantabile Performer 4
Keyboard Synths: Kawai K5000s, Korg Wavestation
Controllers: NI Komplete Kontrol S-88 Mk3 & S-49 Mk2; Maschine Mk3 & JAM;
Akai MPK249 & 225, Alesis QX49, Behringer BCF2000 & FCB1010
Rack Modules: Ensoniq ESQm, Yamaha TX81Z, Wavestation SR

Tutorials: https://youtube.com/@CreatorsMediaTools