828mk III - Windows - audio stops, asio ok until usb reset

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
paletti
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Re: 828mk III - Windows - audio stops, asio ok until usb res

Post by paletti »

Yes Terry it has 1 usb 2.0 in it i tried it no joy.
Funny the old PC is 8 years old and this laptop has an I7 6700k cpu one year old model and its giving me all this trouble.
I always connected a Yamaha 01v96i with it no problems at all,used to do 16 tracks of audio 48khz 24 bit for hours with this laptop ,no problems.
Peace
Pro Tools 12 Latest
Sonar Platinum Lifetime
Yamaha 01v96i
Motu 624 AVB
paletti

Post by paletti »

What im seeing strange is that whenever the driver crashes or stops producing sound all i have to do is open a project with a 48khz and i can keep playing as much as i want as long as i stay at 48khz but when i change back to a 44.1 project just crashes again.
Peace
Pro Tools 12 Latest
Sonar Platinum Lifetime
Yamaha 01v96i
Motu 624 AVB
terrybritton

Post by terrybritton »

I had several very strange things going on with my main computer at one point -- MIDI programs crashing, certain sample rates going crazy like yours -- and so I decided it might be a misfire on the video side of things, since that also hogs the busses. I re-installed my NVidia drivers in "custom setup" mode, checking the box that offered to do a clean installation, and all my problems went away!

I will hope that your situation is solved that easily!!!

Terry
Computer: Sweetwater CS400v7 Intel Core i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz | 64Gigs RAM | Windows 11 Pro x64 |
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid

DAWs & Live: MOTU Digital Performer 11.31 | Cantabile Performer 4
Keyboard Synths: Kawai K5000s, Korg Wavestation
Controllers: NI Komplete Kontrol S-88 Mk3 & S-49 Mk2; Maschine Mk3 & JAM;
Akai MPK249 & 225, Alesis QX49, Behringer BCF2000 & FCB1010
Rack Modules: Ensoniq ESQm, Yamaha TX81Z, Wavestation SR

Tutorials: https://youtube.com/@CreatorsMediaTools
paletti

Post by paletti »

Well now i tried this new audio driver on 3 different win 10 pcs,and the loss of the usb connection persisted in all 3 of them.
In the 1st the most powerfull unusable,and in the other two works ok but losses connection every now and then.
For me it`s still a bit unstable.
Peace
Pro Tools 12 Latest
Sonar Platinum Lifetime
Yamaha 01v96i
Motu 624 AVB
terrybritton

Post by terrybritton »

I wish I could definitely nail down what I did that cured my system (as I used to have TONS of issues - freezes, drop-outs, high-pitched whistles, etc.) but after months of wrangling with it, suddenly all of the issues disappeared entirely. I've done a million things, though.

That said, I'd like to say it was from switching to using Voicemeeter and alternately, Voicemeeter Pro "Banana" for all Windows audio playback situations as the go-between to the MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid with Voicemeeter's "A1" monitor setting set to the MOTU ASIO so it adopts and adapts to the buffer settings of the MOTU box (I also use it on my other machine to stabilize a previously equally wonky Ultralite mk3 hybrid the same way.)

I NEVER EVER EVER use the built-in MOTU windows WDM/KS drivers anymore (the ones in the Windows Audio control panel). I have them entirely disabled now. I think they are a major part of the problem in that they do not perform sample-rate conversions, but rather they very clunkily change the sample rate of the internal hardware inside the box. I suspect those "get confused" easily and send sample-rate changes to the box when one did not intend that to happen.

Voicemeeter performs the sample rate conversions elegantly and without issue, and leaves the rate you have your MOTU unit set to alone while doing so. Now my MOTU interfaces are both stable as a rock!

Do not try to use Voicemeeter as an ASIO device for your Digital Performer playback, though -- something about the two programs is incompatible, and a loud hissing noise is all you get. (This is the only time I've seen the ASIO in Voicemeeter not work with an ASIO-capable piece of software.) DP needs to go directly to the MOTU ASIO interface, and Voicemeeter needs to be closed or the MOTU driver will complain.

However, for all system audio uses, I have Voicemeeter set as the default playback and recording device, and all of my issues with freezes, clicks, whistles, etc. have disappeared for several months now without a single re-occurrence.

There might be a Mac equivalent to solving this problem, but I don't have a Mac to test on.

Terry
Computer: Sweetwater CS400v7 Intel Core i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz | 64Gigs RAM | Windows 11 Pro x64 |
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid

DAWs & Live: MOTU Digital Performer 11.31 | Cantabile Performer 4
Keyboard Synths: Kawai K5000s, Korg Wavestation
Controllers: NI Komplete Kontrol S-88 Mk3 & S-49 Mk2; Maschine Mk3 & JAM;
Akai MPK249 & 225, Alesis QX49, Behringer BCF2000 & FCB1010
Rack Modules: Ensoniq ESQm, Yamaha TX81Z, Wavestation SR

Tutorials: https://youtube.com/@CreatorsMediaTools