Amplifier power cycle crashes MOTU UltraLite mk3 Hybrid

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
krista
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Amplifier power cycle crashes MOTU UltraLite mk3 Hybrid

Post by krista »

Took me a while to figure this out, but if I power cycle my amp, an Adcom GFA-535ii, it will cause the UltraLite to stop responding to the PC, until I power cycle the interface.

This doesn't happen every single time, but will happen within 10 cycles, even if the power change has a 10 second delay between all event.... usually it occurs within 5 cycles.

This didn't happen with the m-audio the UltraLite replaced.

This seems to be happening with the Adcom amplifiers connected to my other interface, the 896mk3 Hybrid, although instead of *just* not playing audio, the computer will stutter on video as well, and requires a *computer* reboot, instead of just an interface reboot. I'm still testing this case.

While I'm bitching:

On both setups, and testing on Win7, Win 8, Win8.1, Win 10, and Win 10 Anniversary, enabling "WaveRT" playback in the Motu Audio Console causes corrupted audio during a long playback session, usually within the hour. The corrupted audio is recognizable, although it becomes worse at fixed intervals which seem to be at an integer multiple of the time it takes to originally corrupt.

Higher data rates seem to cause this corruption quicker: 2 channel 44.1khz takes around an hour, 2 channel 96khz seems to take around half that. High bitrate 7.1 surround corrupts well under half an hour.

A fix requires some combination of rebooting the computer, rebooting the interface, or occasionally can be fixed by restarting the driver by changing bit rates and changing them back.

As a programmer, this is screaming it's a corrupt circular buffer somewhere in MOTU's driver. This glitch fails to occur with any other WaveRT device I've had access to.
terrybritton

Re: Amplifier power cycle crashes MOTU UltraLite mk3 Hybrid

Post by terrybritton »

krista wrote:While I'm bitching:

On both setups, and testing on Win7, Win 8, Win8.1, Win 10, and Win 10 Anniversary, enabling "WaveRT" playback in the Motu Audio Console causes corrupted audio during a long playback session, usually within the hour. The corrupted audio is recognizable, although it becomes worse at fixed intervals which seem to be at an integer multiple of the time it takes to originally corrupt.

Higher data rates seem to cause this corruption quicker: 2 channel 44.1khz takes around an hour, 2 channel 96khz seems to take around half that. High bitrate 7.1 surround corrupts well under half an hour.

A fix requires some combination of rebooting the computer, rebooting the interface, or occasionally can be fixed by restarting the driver by changing bit rates and changing them back.

As a programmer, this is screaming it's a corrupt circular buffer somewhere in MOTU's driver. This glitch fails to occur with any other WaveRT device I've had access to.
I un-check WaveRT, but the WDM bugs in the MOTU audio drivers re-emerge no matter what hoops I jump through. The ASIO drivers are stable. (Have 828 mk3 hybrid and Ultralite mk3 hybrid).

I solved all my issues by turning off the MOTU Audio completely in the device manager under Sound, Video and Game Controllers, and use Voicemeeter Basic (and sometimes Voicemeeter Pro) as my default playback and record interfaces for general Windows audio, sending to the ASIO MOTU drivers via that.

I have two large-ish posts on that topic here and here.

Terry
Computer: Sweetwater CS400v7 Intel Core i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz | 64Gigs RAM | Windows 11 Pro x64 |
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid

DAWs & Live: MOTU Digital Performer 11.31 | Cantabile Performer 4
Keyboard Synths: Kawai K5000s, Korg Wavestation
Controllers: NI Komplete Kontrol S-88 Mk3 & S-49 Mk2; Maschine Mk3 & JAM;
Akai MPK249 & 225, Alesis QX49, Behringer BCF2000 & FCB1010
Rack Modules: Ensoniq ESQm, Yamaha TX81Z, Wavestation SR

Tutorials: https://youtube.com/@CreatorsMediaTools
terrybritton

Re: Amplifier power cycle crashes MOTU UltraLite mk3 Hybrid

Post by terrybritton »

OR you can jump into this thread at Head-Fi for two pages of reading (and perhaps backtrack to #23) and see how others have suffered ... I mean ... tried to solve this!

Terry
Computer: Sweetwater CS400v7 Intel Core i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz | 64Gigs RAM | Windows 11 Pro x64 |
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid

DAWs & Live: MOTU Digital Performer 11.31 | Cantabile Performer 4
Keyboard Synths: Kawai K5000s, Korg Wavestation
Controllers: NI Komplete Kontrol S-88 Mk3 & S-49 Mk2; Maschine Mk3 & JAM;
Akai MPK249 & 225, Alesis QX49, Behringer BCF2000 & FCB1010
Rack Modules: Ensoniq ESQm, Yamaha TX81Z, Wavestation SR

Tutorials: https://youtube.com/@CreatorsMediaTools