896mk3 sound from windows

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
Schafe
Primary DAW OS: Windows

896mk3 sound from windows

Post by Schafe »

Greetings everyone and Merry Christmas,
I just recently purchased the 896 and everything is starting to come together (this thing can be very confusing to setup)I have no sound for my computer programs IE videos, you tube etc. I am running windows 10 and Sonar Platinum.
What am I missing here? Key board, e drums and guitar working through Sonar.
Windows 10, Motu 896MK3, Berhinger eurolive B208D powered speakers, Roland A-800 Pro Keyboard Controller, Roland TD-3 (Hybrid) V-Drums, Guitars, Sax, Fiddles and things.
terrybritton

Re: 896mk3 sound from windows

Post by terrybritton »

In the Windows Audio Console, select your main speakers as the default playback device for things like browser playback (YouTube, etc.)

It is a WASAPI connection (WDM). Sometimes it may glitch due to sample-rate changes in videos being played back, in my experience (with an 828 mk3 hybrid).

Terry
Computer: Sweetwater CS400v7 Intel Core i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz | 64Gigs RAM | Windows 11 Pro x64 |
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid

DAWs & Live: MOTU Digital Performer 11.31 | Cantabile Performer 4
Keyboard Synths: Kawai K5000s, Korg Wavestation
Controllers: NI Komplete Kontrol S-88 Mk3 & S-49 Mk2; Maschine Mk3 & JAM;
Akai MPK249 & 225, Alesis QX49, Behringer BCF2000 & FCB1010
Rack Modules: Ensoniq ESQm, Yamaha TX81Z, Wavestation SR

Tutorials: https://youtube.com/@CreatorsMediaTools
Schafe

Post by Schafe »

OK :D ...Thank you Terry I will give it a look when I get back to that computer.
Windows 10, Motu 896MK3, Berhinger eurolive B208D powered speakers, Roland A-800 Pro Keyboard Controller, Roland TD-3 (Hybrid) V-Drums, Guitars, Sax, Fiddles and things.
Schafe

Post by Schafe »

I'm not having to much luck. When i was using my quad-Capture for the interface it would automatically detect and play sounds from my computer through the Quad-Capture and the speakers.
The motu 896 automatically defaults to: Motu ADAT Optical A 3-4, and plays sounds through my DAW but no sounds from computer applications. I do not have any other speakers connected to my system.
terrybritton

Post by terrybritton »

Schafe wrote:The motu 896 automatically defaults to: Motu ADAT Optical A 3-4
I don't get you - what do you mean it outputs through your ADAT? How are your speakers hooked up, anyway? Most use an analog signal.

Terry
Computer: Sweetwater CS400v7 Intel Core i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz | 64Gigs RAM | Windows 11 Pro x64 |
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid

Schafe

Post by Schafe »

I don't know why it was defaulting to that setting. I now have it defaulting to Analog 1-2 when I fire things up. I still have a red X on my computer speakers and no sound for windows stuff. This is a very Mac oriented piece of equipment I'm afraid. Most of the info I find pertains to a Mac. I don't know why it wouldn't just automatically connect things up on it's own. Thanks for trying to help. I will keep digging.
terrybritton

Post by terrybritton »

Set it to Main Out and it might work right away. (Definitely this is not a Mac-centered device. Works fine on all three of my Windows boxes.)

What is your default speaker in the WINDOWS audio console? (Not the MOTU audio console - the Windows one, accessed by right-clicking the little speaker icon next to your clock.) In the Playback tab, you should have the device you are outputting to your speakers selected as default.

Terry
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid

Schafe

Post by Schafe »

I think I have tried them all...it is set at Motu analog7-8 and Motu analog 1-2 are both highlighted. and I don't know why (that is something new)I have tried so many ways that my head is spinning and i'm about done!!!!could you please please tell me how yours is set.thank you.
Schafe

Post by Schafe »

In the Motu audio console:
Phones assign: Mainout1-2
Optical ins and outs all disabled
Main out assign: analog1-2
return assign:analog1-2
sample rate: none
Computer speaker playback device:Motu analog 1-2
Computer speaker recording deviceMotu s/pdif-1-2
terrybritton

Post by terrybritton »

Where (physically) are your speakers plugged in?

If you do indeed have your speakers plugged into the MOTU Analog 1&2 outputs, you should be hearing something.

I do not understand why you have your computer speaker recording device as S/PDIF. That will not work sending from the DAW unless you have a loopback cable from the S/PDIF Out to the S/PDIF in, or actually have some external device plugged into the S/PDIF in. Anyway, that is not entirely relevant to this, except you should not have your DAW set to S/PDIF as output. Set it to an Analog port. Sample rate should not be "None". (How is that even possible?)

If you think this gets your head spinning, wait until you try to wrap your head around Cuemix!

I'll make you a video Monday if you cannot get it all to work.

My settings are:

In the Motu audio console:
Phones assign: Main Outs 1-2
Optical ins and outs all enabled but are looped back to themselves so I can send stuff to Cuemix.
Main out assign: Main Outs 1-2
return assign: Main Outs 1-2
sample rate: 44,100
Computer speaker playback device:Motu Main Out 1-2
Computer speaker recording device: Motu Analog 7-8 (Seldom if ever used)

Terry
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid

Schafe

Post by Schafe »

I have my speakers connected to the 896 main outs at the back via xlr cables to speakers left and right.
I think I have everything connected correctly like yours but it is still not feeding the internal speakers over through the motu.
I am going to try some windows settings.
(UPDATE) Something is real f'n wacky with this setup......I am going to try delete the entire thing and start over.
When I originally installed and plugged in my Roland quad capture everything was recognized but this thing is becoming a headache.
Please don't go out of your way any further Terry until I get this problem figured out.
it keeps reverting back to ADAT every time I think i am getting close to getting it to work. Thank you for your support.
Schafe

Post by Schafe »

YAHOO I got it.....It appeared to be an internal windows problem I'm not sure how this happened but I needed to do the following:
Went to start and type cmd search will return cmd.exe right click on this and select 'run as administrator' at the prompt type: net localgroup Administrators /add localservice
press enter then type: exit
press enter and restart your computer

Also thank you for this Community Forum and a special thank you to you TERRY.
I'm going to reboot and hope everything remains as it is.