MOTU 624 / 8A

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
Cassiopea47
Primary DAW OS: Windows

MOTU 624 / 8A

Post by Cassiopea47 »

Hi all,

I'd be interested in purchasing one of the two bhetween the 624 and the 8A but I need to know if both Thunderbolt or AVB Ethernet connection are fully compatible and supported for Window 10.
Anybody can answer that question?

Thanks
John_nj

Re: MOTU 624 / 8A

Post by John_nj »

Hi,

I got a 624 on Tuesday from B&H.

I don't know about AVB. I think that might still be a Mac only deal.

I'm using the Thunderbolt connection, though. It seems to work fine. The 624 TB is connected to one of the TB ports on my LG monitor and the other port is connected to my Dell XPS 15's TB 3 port via a TB 2 to 3 adapter.

I'm only running 2 channels off audio from the computer to the 624, though. I only use the 624 as the audio output and mixer for my ham radio rig, so I can't comment on how multichannel audio going in and out for DAW usage performs over TB.

The 624 replaces an Ultralight AVB that I was using for the same thing. I enjoy not having a blindingly bright blue display. The new one uses the same driver as the other AVB device.

There is a bug in the 624 IP setup. Every ip menu selection acts like the DHCP on/off. I called MOTU support and they confirmed the problem on their 624 and were escalating it to development. I set a static lease on my router as a workaround. I target OSC messages to the MOTU from my nanokontrol2 so I like having a static IP.
Cassiopea47

Post by Cassiopea47 »

Sounds cool,
thank you John.
Just another question: did you get rid of the annoying "click click" when the interface is powered by using thunderbolt connection on PC instead of USB?
Do you notice better stability/performance than USB2 on the Ultralite AVB?

Thanks
John_nj

Post by John_nj »

I had to stop using the 624. As I mentioned in my first post, I'm using it in my ham radio setup, so my use case might be dissimilar to most other people's.

Basically it (and the AVB Ultralight) are sensitive to RFI. What happens is that when I transmit at full power (600w in my case), it will stop processing audio for about 10 seconds. The unit stays on, but no audio out of it and the meters go flat.

With the Ultralight, which I still use to stream the police dispatch feed in my town, it will shut off completely.

I was able to solve it for the most part by putting ferrite chokes on every cable connected to it, but it would still happen on occasion. Having audio cut out after transmitting when trying to work a distant station has screwed me up more than once.

True, my environment probably has more rf than most, but I have plenty of other pieces of equipment in my room that's rf-sensitive (including 5 computers) and the only devices that show any symptoms of rfi are the MOTU interfaces.

I'm wondering if all the various glitches that people experience with these interfaces are due to rfi (but not as drastic as what mine do).

I went back to using a Behringer XR-12 for mixing/processing and a Focusrite 6i6 and so far no rfi issues (nor did I have any when I was using that setup before going the MOTU route).

John
rean1mator

Post by rean1mator »

I"m having issues getting it integrated with my 16a.
I had the 16a already installed and working great. tried to plugin the 8a via usb3.0 on windows 10 machine and although the motu discover app was recognizing it i kept getting an error: Could not communicate with the device, bad context
on teh web ui when i try to open it up. so i unpluged the 16a uninstalled motu software, reinstalled everything, kept thge 16a unplugged, connected the 8a and it was finally able to open up the web app.

I then installed new firmware, then turned on the 16a and now getting the same: Could not communicate with the device, bad context error.

i can connect to the 16 a still. there seems to be issues trying to get both units up and running at the same time. looks like i'm going to have to contact motu about this. have already wasted hours trying to get this configured with no luck.
rean1mator

Post by rean1mator »

Well, I take it all back, after about 15 minutes and a few minutes after i wrote my last post and immediately after i wrote an email to motu support, i'm now able to see both 16a and 8a withe the 8a connected via usb3.0 and 16a only connected to the 8a via ethernet. yeeehaaw.
rean1mator

Post by rean1mator »

and i take that back again, can't connect to the 8a again, seems very unstable and sporadic as to when i can connect.
rean1mator

Post by rean1mator »

So what's teh general consensus on the windows 10 support? anyone having luck getting this setup? i'm trying to figure out if it's just typical motu crappy driver support on a new product or if my unit is faulty in which case i need to return it.

I've tried a clean install from my laptop which has never had any motu drivers on it and i'm getting the same issues.

i switched back to my 16a as my main audio interface via usb 2.0 and then connected the 8a via ethernet to the 16a and i am able to get this to work and i'm sending the main mix signal from computer to teh 8a phones output.

i really wanted to take advantage(if any of the faster 8a usb3.0 vs the 16a 2.0usb and use the 8a as my main audio interface with 16a connected via ethernet.

will give a call to motu on monday if i have time
paletti

Post by paletti »

I`m having nightmares as well with the 624 just got it 4 days ago and can`t solve the problem of audio just stopping randomly on one particular laptop Acer aspire V5-591G, on a much older pc its workig perfect.
Peace
Pro Tools 12 Latest
Sonar Platinum Lifetime
Yamaha 01v96i
Motu 624 AVB