Micro Lite 5X5 USB interface: "MIDI 5" question

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
loveoldtrux
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Micro Lite 5X5 USB interface: "MIDI 5" question

Post by loveoldtrux »

Hi all,

Been using my MOTO Micro Lite for years - works great (***NO*** latency as in the days of the old soundblaster cards and Cubase 1). I'm the Micro Lite leading to an Ultra-MK3 and the Ultra-MK3 to PC via fire wire. No problems ( :mumble: besides the ones I introduce myself - GREAT work, Motu!!). I like the Motu equipment - EXACTLY what I need!!!

With the Micro Lite, I use 3 keyboards and an AGO spec pedalboard that I midified last year - works great. That's four devices.

Here's the question.... it might be staring me right in the face - my excuse is I work long hours and I'm sick so pardon my stewpidity for asking.. I've added a FOURTH Fatar MIDI keyboard and already verified it works by itself.

I need to complete my keyboard stack with this 4th keyboard and KEEP the pedalboard in its current configuration. All the MIDI in / out ports are on the back and they are full (MIDI 1-4), so I don't see an option to add this 4th keyboard for a total of 5 devices. DRUM ROLL-----> BUT... on the front of the Micro Lite 5X5 staring at me for years is "MIDI 5 in / out". I don't want to mess up a configuration that's been working great for years by attempting this... BUT ..... can I use this 5th MIDI in / out on the front for this 5th MIDI device (I know it will look funky with cables now coming out the front)? Is it simply a 5th MIDI port?!?!? I've always assumed I'm limited to 4 MIDI ports (the ones on the back) and the front ones were for daisy chaining two micro lites together).

2nd question if I may....... if the above is not designed to work for these 5 MIDI devices, what would be the "next step up" from the Micro-Lite?

Thanks for the read,
Mark
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Micro Lite 5X5 USB interface: "MIDI 5" question

Post by mikehalloran »

The Micro Lite is 5x5

http://motu.com/products/MIDI/lite

That 5th port is for the convenience of users who want to connect from the front.

I only use port 8 on my MTP/AV these days—the one in front. Works great.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
loveoldtrux
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Re: Micro Lite 5X5 USB interface: "MIDI 5" question

Post by loveoldtrux »

Thanks Mike for clearing that up. Now let me go find 2 MIDI cables....

Thanks for the quick reply!!!.....
Markm