Need Help with 24 i/o

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
DeafWiggler
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Need Help with 24 i/o

Post by DeafWiggler »

Hi all,
I just purchased a used system which consists of a pci-424 card and 2408mk3 interface. All of this work great so far. Then I bought a 24 i/0 from a different person who never tried it because he did not have the pci card. when I turn the 24 i/o on, the clock lights on the front panel cycle through 8 times then all the lights go off... is it what it's supposed to do? can't see the 24 i/o on the pci audio console. changed the port and firewire cable but still no luck, does it sound to you like a defective 24 i/o or should I investigate more in the computer?

Hope anyone can help
Thanks
buzzsmith
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Need Help with 24 i/o

Post by buzzsmith »

Pretty sure that is its normal startup routine. Is the clock light blinking (with the computer off)? 44.1 or 48, etc. When the computer is on and a correct connection made, the clock light should stay on.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Early 2009 Mac Pro 4,1>5,1 3.33 GHz Hex Core Intel Xeon OS X 10.8.5 SSD (32 gigs RAM)
DP 9.51 PCI-424e / original 2408, 2408mkII, 24I/O, MTP-AV

Yamaha C7 Conservatory Grand
Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)

DeafWiggler

Post by DeafWiggler »

connected or not to the computer, there are no lights at all on the front pannel once booted. if I plug signal to any input, the meters are not working either. pretty sure there is an issue with the supply. opened it yesterday and the big 15000uF cap is domed, just ordered spare to try to swap this out.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

DeafWiggler wrote:connected or not to the computer, there are no lights at all on the front pannel once booted. if I plug signal to any input, the meters are not working either. pretty sure there is an issue with the supply. opened it yesterday and the big 15000uF cap is domed, just ordered spare to try to swap this out.
Just for giggles try and connect ONLY the 24 I/O to the PCI-424 card using the cable you are currently using for the 828. You *know* that cable works. The reason I suggest this is that MOTU's "Audiowire" cables have a very slight difference than off-the-shelf Firewire cables. On the connector that inserts into the PCI424 card, the metal part of the connector is longer to seat deeper into the female connector on the card. If you use a Firewire cable, sometimes the connector doesn't go deep enough into the socket of the card.

Sometimes you can use an exacto knife or dremel tool to trim back some of the plastic molding around the connector to expose more of the metal part so that it makes proper contact with the PCI-424 card.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
DeafWiggler

Post by DeafWiggler »

tried that before investigating the hardware...

Thanks
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Ahhh didn't see that. You might have gotten a defective 24 I/O. Seems like one way to find out is if you knew anybody in your area who was running a MOTU PCI setup and see if they'd be willing to let you hook up your unit and see. Does your unit have a 240/120V switch on the right side panel toward the rear. I've heard sometimes that switching that back and forth a couple times can help... granted, it's a long shot.

Also, maybe call MOTU tech support and ask them about it. Maybe there's some sort of hardware reset you can do by holding down a combination of buttons on the front during power up? I hate to thing this way, but you may have gotten yourself a bum unit. Sometimes you can just send these back to MOTU and for a $100 they'll give you a "new" refurbished unit. It would suck if you had to shell out another $100, but it would suck worse if you're stuck with a doorstop. :(

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
DeafWiggler

Post by DeafWiggler »

SORTED!!

receiverd a spare 15000uF capacitor from fedex. Bit of soldering, put everything back together.. works like a brand new unit, all tested, computer sees it, all I/Os are working...

Cheers :unicorn:
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Sometimes, an aged, domed capacitor really is the only problem. Often times its the symptom of a bigger issue.

Glad to see it was the simple issue. :headbang:
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

DeafWiggler wrote:SORTED!!

receiverd a spare 15000uF capacitor from fedex. Bit of soldering, put everything back together.. works like a brand new unit, all tested, computer sees it, all I/Os are working...

Cheers :unicorn:
Great news!!! :woohoo:

Phdamage

Post by Phdamage »

Not sure if I'm better off posting in this thread or making my own but I'm having issues using a 24io and Windows 10 myself. My issue is different. I install the drivers, then physically install the 424 pci-e card. If I attempt to switch to motu asio in cubase, I get the following message: asio cannot use this motu pci configuration because no outputs are enabled. I follow the prompts to enable the outputs but the drop down menu I would normally use to enable them is empty. Any ideas?! Was really hoping to have this working to start a mix on Wednesday.