Windows Device Assignments

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
resortrecords
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Windows Device Assignments

Post by resortrecords »

Hi all,

I've got three MTP AV USBs (all v2.0.1) connected to my Windows 10 workstation. All is fine, except that Windows occasionally re-assigns one of them to a new ID. [For example, "Port 1 on MTPAV" becomes "4-Port 1 on MTPAV."] I haven't moved any devices, but it seems that when power brown-outs or other random abnormalities happen (like accidentally powering things up out of order), Windows throws one or more of the devices to new IDs.

Unfortunately, this has a disastrous effect on my DAW templates and projects. All of the ports are scrambled, custom port names are lost, etc. It's a nightmare.

I realize this is more of a Windows support question, but is there a way to manually restore my devices to their original IDs? Is there any way to lock these devices so that Windows won't re-assign them?

Any advice is appreciated.
danx
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: Windows Device Assignments

Post by danx »

Same here!
Very annoying.
Any ideas?
danx
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by danx »

Alright I think I found the solution.
It seems to be that those old machines have a dead internal battery (CR 2032) that requires to be replaced in order to communicate with PC and avoid reinstall on every computer reboot.
resortrecords
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by resortrecords »

Yup, that did it! I replaced the CR2032 batteries in all three of my MIDI Timepiece AV USBs and have experienced no trouble since. I've even powered 'em up out of order - usually, an absolute no-no - and seen no problems.

Until now, my workaround was to purge all MOTU entries from the Windows device list whenever things got out o' whack. [To do this, check out Uwe Sieber's DEVICECLEANUPCMD command-line tool.] I would run a PURGEMOTU.BAT batch file and then re-power the devices in the desired order. This solution made things tolerable but was still a regular nuisance - maybe occurring once or twice per week.

Here's my batch script, just in case anybody else finds a need to clear MOTU devices from Windows. You'll need to tweak the DeviceCleanupCmd.exe filter patterns to match the Device IDs of the MOTU devices you actually have (and without false positives on anything else). The patterns included here work with the MTP AV USB but probably not all other MOTU products. Needless to say, you'll also want to update the instructions to suit your setup and requirements. For the record, my studio has three MTP AV USBs and I tend to forget which order they must be installed in to maintain compatibility with my historical Sonar, Cubase, etc., projects. With this in mind, understanding the script should be pretty easy.

Code: Select all

@echo off
:choice
set /P c=Have you powered off all MOTU USB devices? (Y/N)
if /I "%c%" EQU "Y" goto :cleanMOTU
if /I "%c%" EQU "N" goto :keepMOTU
goto :choice
:cleanMOTU
echo Clearing all MOTU devices from Windows
pause 
@echo on
DeviceCleanupCmd MOTU* USB\VID_07FD* SWD\MMDEVAPI\MIDII*
@echo off
echo You may now safely power up your MOTU devices.  Be sure to follow this order:
echo.
echo   1. Rack 1
echo   2. Desk
echo   3. Rack 2
echo.
pause
exit
:keepMOTU
echo No action taken
pause 
exit
So psyched!

THANK YOU!!! :D
James Steele
Site Administrator
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by James Steele »

Those little batteries can cause more weirdness than you can imagine. :)
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!