Windows 7 64-bit and older firewire interfaces

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
TheRealRoach
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Windows 7 64-bit and older firewire interfaces

Post by TheRealRoach »

IMPORTANT UPDATE: Unfortunately No sound will output. It's very strange as I can record into Cubase from any of my inputs, and I can "see" the outputs as options within all of the software, but nothing comes out of the MOTU nor do I get any meter bounce. I'm still investigating..

Just thought I'd post this here since I was having trouble finding information on the topic.

I'm a long-time Moto 896 user, and my current system runs 4 daisy-chained MOTU 896s (made up of one 896HD and 3x 896 originals). This is a 48 I/o system and although a total upgrade of hardware is likely in my future, I'm reluctant to do it since starting from scratch on a new 48 I/O system is a very expensive proposition.

Anyway here's what's working for me:
Windows 7 64bit, Motu 3.6.7.3 x64 drivers (http://www.motu.com/download/download_m ... oad_id=112), and the Microsoft 1394 FireWire bus legacy drivers.

These older Motu drivers with the legacy 1394 drivers deliver much better stability, lower ASIO load, and at least a 25% improvement in round-trip latency times.

If anyone is using Motu 828, 828mk2, 896, 896HD, Traveler, ultralite or 8pre or even the new breed of FireWire devices, it might be worth a shot if anyone is having issues of any kind.

Instructions:
Turn off Motu devices.
Uninstall Motu software drivers (Control Panel -> Remove Programs)
Reboot.
Open Device Manager, "Update Driver.." of your FireWire / IEEE1394 bus to the Microsoft-supplied OHCI 1394 (legacy) version. You should then receive a message that it has been installed successfully.
Reboot.
Install Motu 3.6.7.3 x64 driver.
Reboot.
Once in Win 7, turn on your first MOTU device. It should auto detect and give a "successful installation message."
Reboot.
Power on your second Motu device (with the first still powered up).
Reboot.
Continue steps for any further daisy chained moth devices.
Mike Rocha
http://www.mikerocha.ca
Custom ADK, Quad 3.0ghz, 4gig ram, Win7 64-bit, Motu 3.6.7.3 x64 drivers
Macbook Pro 13" touchbar, High Sierra, 73220 drivers
Motu 896 x 4