828Mk3 Hybrid and Audio Console

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
TodfromGTown
Primary DAW OS: Windows

828Mk3 Hybrid and Audio Console

Post by TodfromGTown »

Recently joined the MOTU universe with an 828Mk3 Hybrid. Using Windows 10 Pro 64bit.
All was right with the world until the Microsoft Anniversary Update. Since then, the Audio Console app will not come up. Been in touch with Tech Support, so far to no avail. Still working on it with them, But I am wondering if anybody else is having this issue. Me thinks it has to do with Cortana and not having a way to disable it anymore. Any help or input would greatly be appreciated.

To be clear, the Cue Mix App still works; still have sound and can manipulate the I/O configurations and such, but I cannot access the bit rate options or the buffer size options without the Audio console. Not even through Cubase 8.5 pro, which has an access button in their device setup menu. I am stuck at 48Khz right now, and have projects in 192Khz that I can't work on. argh.
Windows 10 Pro. latest updates.
ASUS P7P55d-le Mobo
Intel i5 760 Quad core
8gigs 1333 sdram
nvidia GeForce GTX 580
Multiple SSD's
Cubase 8.5 Pro with various VSTs and FX plugs
terrybritton

Re: 828Mk3 Hybrid and Audio Console

Post by terrybritton »

That is normal behavior for the 828 mk3 hybrid (as well as for the Ultrlite mk3 hybrid which I also own). All bit rate changes have to be done through the MOTU Audio Console app. That has always been the case, in my experience, in Windows 8.1, 10 and 10 Anniversary.

Some apps will bring up the MOTU Audio Console application if you hit their "Control Panel" button, but that only works if no program is currently accessing the 828. (The panel will not open if there is any program accessing the 828 - not even browser audio, etc..) I only have a few programs/DAWS that shut down their own audio engine when pressing that button - for the others I need to shut down the DAW, open the MOTU Audio Console panel, make the changes, close it and then re-open my DAW.

Since Cortana can keep the audio open, it can keep the Motu Audio Console from opening, as you have discovered. See this for ideas on what to turn off to allow it again. https://privacy.microsoft.com/en-US/win ... nd-privacy I seem to remember having to turn off "Privacy: Speech, Inking and Typing" to get it to work once.

I hope that is helpful! Please let me know what you discover.

Terry
Computer: Sweetwater CS400v7 Intel Core i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz | 64Gigs RAM | Windows 11 Pro x64 |
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid

DAWs & Live: MOTU Digital Performer 11.31 | Cantabile Performer 4
Keyboard Synths: Kawai K5000s, Korg Wavestation
Controllers: NI Komplete Kontrol S-88 Mk3 & S-49 Mk2; Maschine Mk3 & JAM;
Akai MPK249 & 225, Alesis QX49, Behringer BCF2000 & FCB1010
Rack Modules: Ensoniq ESQm, Yamaha TX81Z, Wavestation SR

Tutorials: https://youtube.com/@CreatorsMediaTools
terrybritton

Re: 828Mk3 Hybrid and Audio Console

Post by terrybritton »

If worse comes to worse, this article describes how to kill Cortana off in Windows 10 Anniversary, but I have not needed to do that on any of my three PC's running it and have access to my MOTU Audio Console on all three. I think the Speech, Inking and Typing permission was the key, but not certain right now.

Terry
Computer: Sweetwater CS400v7 Intel Core i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz | 64Gigs RAM | Windows 11 Pro x64 |
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid

DAWs & Live: MOTU Digital Performer 11.31 | Cantabile Performer 4
Keyboard Synths: Kawai K5000s, Korg Wavestation
Controllers: NI Komplete Kontrol S-88 Mk3 & S-49 Mk2; Maschine Mk3 & JAM;
Akai MPK249 & 225, Alesis QX49, Behringer BCF2000 & FCB1010
Rack Modules: Ensoniq ESQm, Yamaha TX81Z, Wavestation SR

Tutorials: https://youtube.com/@CreatorsMediaTools