828x issues using ADAT input devices at the same time

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
DrFixStuff
Primary DAW OS: Windows

828x issues using ADAT input devices at the same time

Post by DrFixStuff »

Hello All - I've had this problem for the last several months. the 828x has the ability to expand using ADAT inputs to 16 channels. I bought this guy about 6 months ago (new) and it's never really worked right. I've not had a chance to get down and dirty to trouble-shoot, but now I'm ready. I originally had two M-Audio Octane units connected to it and if both units were on at the same time it was never able to sync properly. There would always be noise across all 8 ADAT channels either on A or B depending on which was started last (when started after 828x). This always defaults to B if the 828x is turned on last. This seemed like a syncing issue to me so I eliminated any clocking issues and used an external word clock device going BNC direct to all three devices, daisy chain, 828x optical slave, and still had the same issue. I wasn't too concerned at the time as I already had plans to upgrade the Octanes and one was sufficient. I have since purchased two Motu 8 pre as replacements and do hope to get all those drums setup. I just hooked up the 8 Pres last night and what to do you know..... it's the same issue.
The 8 Pre is basically idiot proof. It automatically goes into converter mode when it's not plugged into the PC (this disables the optical input and all channels route 1-8 ADAT out); all you have to do is put it on the time you want with a couple of button pushes. It only has ADAT timing options, so no word clock required. Both of these devices work great across either ADAT channel but never at the same time. In Cue Mix there is a visual effect that can only be compared to a Cylon eye moving right to left across which ever series of ADATs were turned on last. Again if they 8 Pres are turned on before the 828x then it always defaults to B, just like with the Octanes. The sound is a crackling moving in time with the visual. Changing the clock to one of the 8 Pres has no affect. I tried a single 8 Pre and one of the Octanes and the effect is the same. I've since put in a ticket with MOTU, but any insight would be appreciated.

Cheers
Computer: Windows 10 64bit - Corei7 - 24GB RAM - 1TB SSD
Hardware: Motu 828x - 2x Motu 8pre - 2x M-Audio Octane 8 pre
Software: Sonar X3 - various plugins
DrFixStuff
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Re: 828x issues using ADAT input devices at the same time

Post by DrFixStuff »

Hello all,

Huzzah! my issue is resolved. I am now the proud user of a *fully functioning 828x and 2 8Pre. I see a few people stopped by the post and I wanted to share my resolve in case you run into the snag yourself. I found it a challenge to find any reading material on my issue and this might help. Here we go. When I got in touch with MOTU, Andrew told me that the 828x ADAT outs had to be connected to the 8Pre ADAT ins (top row). This configuration requires 4 ADAT cables; two for each 8 Pre (top row). Then you'll need set the time on the 8Pres (manually by holding button) to desired clock and optical in to 1x. Since the 828x only has two optical ins you won't be able to use two 8Pre for 88.2 or higher due to port limitations on the 828x(and probably other stuff too). 4 cables may seem like an obvious fix for many seasoned vets, but I have to take a bit of issue with MOTU on this one. The manuals regarding this type of configuration are vague. It states that the inputs on the 8pre are disabled and the diagrams all show a single cable in a one way direction. My Octanes only required one ADAT cable(as it only output and it worked fine) They were synced by external Word Clock as was the 828x. Based on the manuals and the equipment I had removed I thought that the 8 pre only required a single cable since the inputs are technically disabled. Additionally the instructions state to "not put in Optical IN" in converter mode. While I'm glad to have the solution it's a bit bitter sweet. When I upgraded to a MOTU 828x from an M-AUDIO Profire 2626 one of my gripes about the Profire was it's lack of assignable ADAT outs. This was something that my EMU-1820 (previous to Profire) did and was really nice. I liked being able to have and SPDIF digital out for my audio stream. I had a bad-aide for use with the Profire in the form of a Sonar plugin, but I don't particulary like it and since my out's are now ADAT fixed I'm back to that. It's fixed and all is mostly right in the house that MOTU built.

Thanks
Computer: Windows 10 64bit - Corei7 - 24GB RAM - 1TB SSD
Hardware: Motu 828x - 2x Motu 8pre - 2x M-Audio Octane 8 pre
Software: Sonar X3 - various plugins