Thunderbolt EX3 and White Noise with 1248

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
Rockreid
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Thunderbolt EX3 and White Noise with 1248

Post by Rockreid »

Hi, fresh PC build as follows:

Intel 6900k
ASUS X99 Deluxe II
ASUS Ex3 Thunderbolt card (included with MB)
NVDIA GeForce 210 video card
Windows 10 x64 all latest Updates (post mega August update)

After a full day of trying to get my EX3 Thunderbolt card working I found the correct PCIslot and the TB2, USB 3, and USB-C ports are working. The onboard card USB port works with a thumb drive however the MOTU 1248 produces white noise plugging in the unit to the EX3's TB2 slot. TB3 comes from a USB-C port on the card and I have a USB-C to TB2 adaptor. The only Thunderbolt device I have is the 1248 and a long 10 ft Thunderbolt 2 cable.

The problem is the MOTU 1248 produces a sort of white noise from the line outs when I plug in the unit to the EX3 TB2 port. When I plug in the 1248 using the USB-C to TB2 adaptor and the TB2 cable I get the MOTU unit recognized by Windows with no errors in Device Manager however Studio One 3 and Reaper cannot work with the unit even though they can see it in their ASIO Options menus.

I'm wondering if anyone has had success with Thunderbolt and a 1248 with the X99 platform. So far I've tried a Gigabyte GA-X99P-SLI and the ASUS X99 Deluxe II with no success. Is it something on my end or is the 1248 simply not yet compatible with the X99 platform?
lbcbdr
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Re: Thunderbolt EX3 and White Noise with 1248

Post by lbcbdr »

I am trying to do the same thing although an ASUS z390A and a 16A. On the EX3 the Thunderbolt 2 port is actually mini DisplayPort you need to use a tbolt 3 to 2 adaptor on the tbolt 3 port. I have not gotten it to work yet but that is today's plan. Still not sure I have the ex3 setup correctly. do you have any thoughts on that?

Thanks LBC