Motu track 16 phantom power not working

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
lumino
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Motu track 16 phantom power not working

Post by lumino »

Hi, I got a MOTU Track 16 today, and just set it up.

I've spent a few hours trying to get it working properly but can't get any real audio through my condenser mic. The only thing I can hear through it is scratching on the mic grill - Talking or even yelling will not be picked up.
I have tried enabling and disabling phantom power just the same but it does not make any difference to the input level. I've ensured that the mic channel is not muted in the CueMix FX software. I've tried different XLR cables, using the Mic 2 input and even a different power supply (12v 1amp as opposed to the 15v MOTU power supply).

I do not have a dynamic mic to test if the issue is actually solely phantom power related.

Does anyone have some tips to offer on this?

Thanks.
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Motu track 16 phantom power not working

Post by mikehalloran »

If your phantom power LEDs light up, it should be available. This might be best resolved by calling MOTU Support.

http://motu.com/products/motuaudio/track16/specs.html
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
lumino

Post by lumino »

Thanks for the response. Unfortunately I just missed the MOTU support line closing hours for the weekend.

Do you think there is anything else I could be overlooking? The mic still works fine when I plug it into my old Scarlett 2i2 with phantom power. I can get the input to peak by flicking the pad switch that's built into my microphone (AKG perception 120) - almost no other sound is picked up though.
reedster

Post by reedster »

You might try a reset:

Track16: Hold down the MAIN and LINE OUT buttons for 2 seconds. The LED lights will display the letter "D". Once this letter disappears, your unit is reset.

Have you set the Input Trim to a nominal level?
MacBook Pro 9,1 15" 16gb | 10.12.4 | DP 9.13 | xAir | NI | WIVI | Garritan | Izotope | Bidule
lumino

Post by lumino »

Hi, I tried resetting to default but it did not fix the problem. I'm thinking now that the problem is to do with the mic preamp - not the Phantom power, however I have not got my hands on a dynamic mic to test it with yet.
lumino

Post by lumino »

Okay. Finally managed to borrow an SM57 and Beta 58A - They both worked fine.

Does this narrow down the problem to be related to phantom power?
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

lumino wrote:Okay. Finally managed to borrow an SM57 and Beta 58A - They both worked fine.

Does this narrow down the problem to be related to phantom power?
No.

It can also be a defective mic cable or the use of a ground lift in the circuit.

In addition, there's a possibility that your mc may require more current than the Track 16 supplies. You haven't mentioned what make and model mic you are using.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phantom_power
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
lumino

Post by lumino »

The mic I'm using is an AKG Perception 120
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

lumino wrote:The mic I'm using is an AKG Perception 120
The Perception series is more sensitive to phantom power than other AKG mics. While most AKGs operate between 9–52V, the Perception requires 48V (actually 44-52V), as supplied by the Track 16.
http://www.akg.com/pro/p/perception120group

Reading the sheet above we see that the current requirement for your mic is 3mA. Although MOTU doesn't list the current spec, 3mA is pretty low so this is unlikely to be your problem (unlike certain older mics that require much more Amperage).
http://motu.com/products/motuaudio/track16/specs.html

This narrows it down to a Track 16 issue or a problem with the mic or cable. The cable will work fine with a non-powered mic as long as pins 2 & 3 are connected.

Phantom power also requires pin 1 to be connected at both ends. Use a continuity tester to check the circuit (Ohm meter or a flashlight with wires—whatever works).
lumino

Post by lumino »

Hey, thanks for the help.

I'll have a go at those tests you mentioned.