MIDI EXPRESS XT USB ROM UPGRADE - HELP REQUIRED

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
granadaxronos
Primary DAW OS: Windows

MIDI EXPRESS XT USB ROM UPGRADE - HELP REQUIRED

Post by granadaxronos »

I do acquired XT USB, but there was no sticker with s/n on it.

The ROM version is the same as following in the pictures below.

How could I upgrade it to the new 3.x.x version? Is it possible to upgrade 2.5.0 to the latest?

https://1drv.ms/i/s!Akfj1y2RGGtWhMoAqFMo_Ox-k6XvKg
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: MIDI EXPRESS XT USB ROM UPGRADE - HELP REQUIRED

Post by mikehalloran »

granadaxronos wrote:I do acquired XT USB, but there was no sticker with s/n on it.

The ROM version is the same as following in the pictures below.

How could I upgrade it to the new 3.x.x version? Is it possible to upgrade 2.5.0 to the latest?

https://1drv.ms/i/s!Akfj1y2RGGtWhMoAqFMo_Ox-k6XvKg
No — only the current version (third) can be updated. You have the second version aka the first USB version.

But that's not the problem. Your firmware is 1.32 and is so marked on the chip.

To be compatible with modern Windows and Mac OS, this version of the Express XT USB needs to run the latest firmware which is 2.0.1 for these, same as the first USB versions of the Micro Express and MTP-AV. MOTU used to sell the firmware update chips but stopped offering them in 2012.

There are a lot of these out there in the used market with the correct firmware. It will show on the screen when starting up. Since the firmware is stamped on the ROM label like yours, you might be able to find a non-working unit with the correct chip set for cheap. A common reason for these to fail is the CR2032 battery is so old that, after failing, it leaks.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro