Motu 8 pre connection problem

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
andrea.araf
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Motu 8 pre connection problem

Post by andrea.araf »

Hi guys, my first post here.
I got a problem!
Some months ago i got a Motu 8 Pre Firewire and loved it.
Now i had to change my PC. My new laptop has NOT a firewire port.
It only has 3 USB ports and 1 HDMI port.
Is there any chance to connect Motu 8 pre to it?
I know there exists Firewire-USB and Firewire-HDMI converters; don't know if they'll work with Motu. I've read that Firewire-USB only works if the Firewire device is "USB Aware", which i don't know for the motu.
Thank you very much
Andrea
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Motu 8 pre connection problem

Post by mikehalloran »

The 8pre requires a direct FW connection according to posts that MOTU made a number of years ago. It's not even supposed to work with the Apple Thunderbolt-FW converter although there are posts here from people who were successful in that regards.

So, will it work with an HDMI-FW adapter? Probably not but, if you can make it happen, post here and let others know.

Can you buy a FW card that works with your laptop? If so, get one that uses the TI chip for best results.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
andrea.araf

Post by andrea.araf »

mikehalloran wrote:The 8pre requires a direct FW connection according to posts that MOTU made a number of years ago. It's not even supposed to work with the Apple Thunderbolt-FW converter although there are posts here from people who were successful in that regards.

So, will it work with an HDMI-FW adapter? Probably not but, if you can make it happen, post here and let others know.

Can you buy a FW card that works with your laptop? If so, get one that uses the TI chip for best results.
Hi Mike,
I couldn't find a Firewire-USB adapter in 4 shops in my town today. I'll take a try to the HDMI-FW if i'll find it.
Sadly i can't buy a FW card for my laptop.. it has not the slot.
But don't you think i'll have problems with the drivers/software part if i connect the Motu to an adapter?

Thank you very much
a
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by mikehalloran »

Yes, I believe that you will have problems and there's little chance of success. You are on Windows which lessens the odds.

So, if you can find the adapter and it's a store that lets you return, you might want to try. Otherwise, I believe that you are in the market for a new interface.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
andrea.araf

Post by andrea.araf »

mikehalloran wrote:Yes, I believe that you will have problems and there's little chance of success. You are on Windows which lessens the odds.

So, if you can find the adapter and it's a store that lets you return, you might want to try. Otherwise, I believe that you are in the market for a new interface.
Thank you Mike.
Let's see.
I'm already in the market 'cause i want to buy a UAD Apollo twin duo usb; so i'll link them two via ADAT. I just wanted to be able to use the Motu until i'd buy the Apollo.

Bye
A
andrea.araf

Post by andrea.araf »

mikehalloran wrote:Yes, I believe that you will have problems and there's little chance of success. You are on Windows which lessens the odds.

Thank you Mike.
Let's see.
I'm already in the market 'cause i want to buy a UAD Apollo twin duo usb; so i'll link them two via ADAT. I just wanted to be able to use the Motu until i'd buy the Apollo.

Bye
A