MOTU 896 MK3 Hybrid

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
smartdoc1948
Primary DAW OS: Windows

MOTU 896 MK3 Hybrid

Post by smartdoc1948 »

For various reasons which I don't have space to explain here, I would like to set up my Sonar X1 in a Virtual Windows set up. It works well with my MIDI devices. I am using Fantom XR to play back MIDI files. MOTU 896 Hybrid is recognized by my virtual machine and the guest OS. Even the MOTU audio installer recognizes the MOTU in the virtual OS and installed the drivers but Cuemix software will not recognize it. I keep getting an error saying no MOTU device found. I have tried,virtual version of Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8 and Windows 10 with no luck.

Has any body tried to use MOTU in a virtual Windows set up? Can any body help me? If I can have the MOTU 896 to be recognized by Cuemix software, it would be a huge help for me.

Some one, please help.

NC
terrybritton

Re: MOTU 896 MK3 Hybrid

Post by terrybritton »

Which virtual machine are you using? Is this a Windows or Mac machine? Do explain why you are doing this.
Computer: Sweetwater CS400v7 Intel Core i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz | 64Gigs RAM | Windows 11 Pro x64 |
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid

DAWs & Live: MOTU Digital Performer 11.31 | Cantabile Performer 4
Keyboard Synths: Kawai K5000s, Korg Wavestation
Controllers: NI Komplete Kontrol S-88 Mk3 & S-49 Mk2; Maschine Mk3 & JAM;
Akai MPK249 & 225, Alesis QX49, Behringer BCF2000 & FCB1010
Rack Modules: Ensoniq ESQm, Yamaha TX81Z, Wavestation SR

Tutorials: https://youtube.com/@CreatorsMediaTools
SmartDoc48
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by SmartDoc48 »

Terry Britton:
I am sorry. I did not realize you replied me. Here is the problem. I have been using Sonar since version 1 was released. Now I am up to X3. My set up consists of Windows Vista 32 bit. I use Motu 896 MK3 Hybrid as my "soundcard" for recording and playback. I use Fantom XR as my rack mounted synthesizer. Now my Windows Vista computer is beginning to fail and I need to replace it. I decided to go Linux for security reasons 14.04 version LTS. Since Sonar will not run natively in Linux, I am running Sonar on Virtual Windows. I want to run virtual Windows 10. But Cuemix will not recognize Motu 896 although the driver was installed correctly in Windows 10 VM. Any idea why Cuemix cannot recognize 896MK3 even though Windows 10 recognizes it?
terrybritton

Post by terrybritton »

Well, two thoughts. The first is a Linux one - even though you are running a Windows 10 Virtual Machine, I'm not so sure the Cuemix software will be able to penetrate to the driver interface. (BTW - MOTU does not make any drivers for Linux for its interfaces that I've been able to find.)

You may need to dig deep into the Virtual Machine settings to find if there is any "firewall" type thing blocking Cuemix from seeing "outside". Cuemix does use Bonjour to interface with networks -- I don't know what else it may need.

I have a Linux installation (KXStudio) and if I get some time this weekend I'll throw in a Virtual Machine and see if there is any way of getting it to work that I can find. Is "Virtual Windows" the name of the Virtual Machine software you are using? I usually use VirtualBox by Oracle.

If you are able to get digital audio to and from your unit, you are certainly almost there, even if you end up having to do settings from the front panel.

Terry
Computer: Sweetwater CS400v7 Intel Core i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz | 64Gigs RAM | Windows 11 Pro x64 |
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid

SmartDoc48

Post by SmartDoc48 »

Dear Terry:
Thanks for your response. I am using the standard Oracle VM with Windows 10.
I am so frustrated Motu is so uncooperative. If I had a linux driver, I would be so thrilled. There are so many people willing to write the driver if only Motu will give them the information they need. When I use my VM Windows, I am able to back it up easily as well as move it from machine to machine. I own legally purchased tons of VSTI (VST instruments) and it is a nightmare for me to reinstall every one of them and re-activate them. My life would be much simpler if I can move my set up from one computer to the next if I can make the MOTU/Cuemix to work in Oracle VM Windows 10. Any help you can give me would be appreciated. Is there a way to convert a regular standard Windows 10 set up to Windows 10 virtual machine? Maybe it is a stupid question but I keep thinking if I can taking a working Windows 10 setup and convert it to Virtual VM, that would solve my problems.

Thanks again.
PS. I am a medical doctor and so I don't get to check this site often. That is why you have not heard from me for months. Thanks again
joshs1982
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by joshs1982 »

When mine did this it was because it was set as the default device for sound on my pc. All I did was plug in headphones and made them the default. Then my 896mk3 updated and worked as it should. Hope this helps.
terrybritton

Post by terrybritton »

joshs1982 wrote:When mine did this it was because it was set as the default device for sound on my pc. All I did was plug in headphones and made them the default. Then my 896mk3 updated and worked as it should. Hope this helps.
Excellent solution!

The issue arises from the darn MOTU drivers wanting to change the box's internal sample rate whenever the PC receives a different one - or thinks it has! That is a great way to solve the issue. On a PC, disabling "MOTU Audio Wave for 64 bit" (the Windows Audio driver) in the device manager really seals the deal.

Terry
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid

SmartDoc48

Post by SmartDoc48 »

Terry:
Thanks for the response. Your idea almost worked. I did what you told me to do. I plugged in my headphones and made it the default device. I also disabled the MOTU audio 64... as you suggested. Now the CueMix software loads!! But, it keeps saying MOTU is not responding. This is very close. Any further suggestions? I hope you are still around. I know I have not been on this forum for at least 3-4 years. I tried to solve this problem for a while and then I give up. But now I am so close. Please Terry or someone else help.
terrybritton

Post by terrybritton »

SmartDoc48 wrote:Terry:
Thanks for the response. Your idea almost worked. I did what you told me to do. I plugged in my headphones and made it the default device. I also disabled the MOTU audio 64... as you suggested. Now the CueMix software loads!! But, it keeps saying MOTU is not responding. This is very close. Any further suggestions? I hope you are still around. I know I have not been on this forum for at least 3-4 years. I tried to solve this problem for a while and then I give up. But now I am so close. Please Terry or someone else help.
When I've gotten such an error, simply reinstalling the driver software fixed it. But your working in a Virtual Windows environment changes a lot of things. Frankly, I would have given up on that quest 3-4 years ago. Why not set up a Windows-only box for running Sonar or DP or some other DAW? Any computer from the last 10 years could run Win-10 and Sonar or DP or any other DAW just fine.

Terry

P.S. - You DO know that Sonar is free software now, right? https://www.bandlab.com/products/cakewalk
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid

SmartDoc48

Post by SmartDoc48 »

I am using Sonar X1 on a Windows 10 PC. But the problem is every time, I decide
to change computers I have to start from scratch and reinstall every VST (some of which don't have support anymore) and it can take a week before I am able to complete it. I found that in the virtual Windows all my setups is there and all I have to do is to copy the virtual machine VDI and move it over to a new computer and everything works perfectly. The only problem is the Motu will not work in the virtual machine. Now you know why I am trying to do this.