Successfully Connected MOTU 4Pre and MOTU Audio Express

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
MikeHuntingford
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Successfully Connected MOTU 4Pre and MOTU Audio Express

Post by MikeHuntingford »

I am posting this as others have had questions on how to do this - hook up two MOTU audio devices to one computer and use with DAW.

Well, after lots of trial and error, I am pleased to announce that I have Successfully Connected MOTU 4Pre and MOTU Audio Express to my Windows 10 PC all via firewire.

Here's how I did it.

My PC has an add-on firewire board with 3 x firewire 400 ports. I have my MOTU 4Pre hooked up to the first port (using a 800-400 cable). My MOTU Audio Express is connected to the second port (using a 400 cable). I have connected a S/PDIF cable from my MOTU Audio Express S/PDIF out to the MOTU 4Pre's S/PDIF in. Insofar as power, I have the 4Pre using power from the firewire cord and I am using the supplied power plug for the MOTU Audio Express (works best this way for my configuration).

In the MOTU Audio Console, change master clock to 4Pre internal, the master clock output will change to Master Clock Source for the MOTU Audio Express automatically. This is a very important step, otherwise I hear clicks and pops from my 4Pre.

Now, when you open CueMix, two separate CueMix windows will open. And, I am happy to report that in Sonar Platinum, I see all my separate inputs from the MOTU 4Pre and MOTU Audio Express listed. Works great. Playback is directed to Mix 4 on the CueMix window for the MOTU 4Pre.

Cheers,

Mike