MIDI Timepiece MTP/AV Standalone External Sequencer question

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
editech
Primary DAW OS: Windows

MIDI Timepiece MTP/AV Standalone External Sequencer question

Post by editech »

Hey Guys,

I just got an old USB 1.1 MIDI Timepiece MTP/AV. I love the unit. I am using a Squarp Pyramid to sequence all of my external instruments with the Timepiece just as a standalone patch bay, only being configured by a PC, so I'm not using it with a DAW. The issue is I can't seem to figure out how to pass MIDI clock through the MIDI Timepiece to my other sequencers and instruments from my Squarp. I get MIDI control, can send and receive data fine, it's just MIDI clock. I can by-pass the Motu and plug the Squarp direct to my other gear and it's fine. So the Motu is filtering out MIDI Clock somehow and I can't figure out how to enable it.

So is the MOTU MTP/AV not able to pass MIDI clock in standalone mode?
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: MIDI Timepiece MTP/AV Standalone External Sequencer ques

Post by mikehalloran »

The manual is here
http://cdn-data.motu.com/manuals/MIDI/M ... de_Win.pdf

I like that you can run Find in a browser and go to all 60 instances of clock to see if any answer your question.

An MTP can generate Master Clock or sync to another.

Since you have recently picked this unit up, probably a good idea to replace the CR2032 memory battery. Besides the settings not saving, a weak battery can affect performance.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
editech

Post by editech »

Anyone out there actually knows this piece of gear (Motu MIDI TIMEPIECE) and whether or not MIDI clock (I'm not talking MTC, RS422, wordclock or any other forms of sync), will pass through the router from an external sequencer to other synths and sequencers? I'm not looking for the MOTU Timepiece to generate clock at all, or even receive it. Just need my external synths like a Volca Bass, to receive MIDI clock from my external sequencer through the MOTU, just as if I direct connected the sequencer to the synth. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks All

mikehalloran, I appreciate the reply, but I'm looking for someone who actually has used this gear in standalone mode, and am not looking for a lesson in RTFM or the "PDF find feature". Those are a bit degrading answers when someone with just a small but, tiny bit of technical experience. At least you didn't reply with "search the forums", another favorite of mine. :)
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

OK... then the short answer is Yes, I've done exactly what you want to do but not with your hardware in your situation.

I do not wish to write a detailed description when there is a manual and it is comprehensive.

You will not find Stand Alone in a search of the manual; neither will you find MIDI Clock. You will find MIDI Timing Clock. Pay attention to filtering. Page 40 in the Windows manual and keep reading.

You can't set up your MTP/AV without a computer unless what you want is accessible from the front controls—yes there is some functionality but it only scratches the surface.

You do your setup with the MTP hooked up to your Mac, PC (or both) and save the settings. Now it will do what you want stand alone assuming that the CR2032 battery is good.
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

If your PC cannot see your MTP, that's a firmware issue unless it's 2.0.1—then there's another problem.
editech

Post by editech »

Thanks man, that clue pushed me in the right direction. Even with a manual, we as technicians still need each other to bounce thoughts and ideas out there :)

So assuming MIDI Timing Clock is a Realtime message, then filtering is not enabled for this message on the corresponding MOTU MIDI input associated with receiving MIDI Clock from my Pyramid Sequencer.

So thinking about the engineering behind it, MIDI Clock generally will only pass through from an input to an output that is set to "Thru". It will not using a normal output channel that doesn't have Thru capability. I'm assuming the MTP follows these same rules and all outputs are acting as normal "MIDI OUT" and not functioning as "Thru". Am I on the right path?

So maybe I have to set the MTP to sync MIDI "TIMING" Clock to my external sequencer as a workaround. What do you think?
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

The manual is not as clear as one would like—or rather it is but you have to speak the same language. You set Filters to let MIDI through or not on the channels you want. It took me a little while to get it right (that was on my G5 a number of years ago).

Page 39 in the Windows manual is really where you start once you get the software up. It would be nice if you could get to the insides without a PC or Mac but that would be quite complicated so probably just as well. As long as the battery is good, whatever you save should remain—that should be changed every 5 years or so.
editech

Post by editech »

I will have to revisit this tonight. I only have the ability to check and uncheck in filtering, I don't see the hash/red X green check mark that they discuss. Could be an OS problem as I'm using win 10.

J
editech

Post by editech »

So I figured out that the motu had realtime filtering set on all ports, but the software was not updating to reflect the filtering. Maybe a windows 10 thing, I'm not sure. I managed to figure out how to use the hardware panel to turn it off. Each knob is a menu layer, that's a strange way to operate the front panel.

Now I have to figure out why it turns real time filtering on and off on all ports. Can't seem to do just one port. This is less of a big deal as I can filter start stop messages on each sequencer I don't want to respond.

Jay
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Windows 10... yikes!

Since your end game is to have it functioning in stand alone, any Mac or PC that lets you access all of the settings will get the job done.

If you lived nearby, I'd let you borrow my junky old Lenovo running XT. Totally useless except for the occasions when I absolutely, positively need a Windows machine (I think the last time was 2011). I fired it up last week to see that it still works.
editech

Post by editech »

Thanks Mike for the offer. I have most flavors of operating systems as I'm a post production engineer. I'm not worried about it though, front panel operation is fine and I'm sure I have gobs of XP machines at work that are decommissioned. Don't sleep on Windows 10 though, after an hour of turning off needless services, it's been super solid. Possibly the best and lightest OS yet. Just takes a bit of research and time to configure.

Jay