MTP-AV USB ClockWorks Problems - Blank Routings & Presets

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
SinSeriously
Primary DAW OS: Windows

MTP-AV USB ClockWorks Problems - Blank Routings & Presets

Post by SinSeriously »

I have a MOTU MIDI Timepiece AV USB (2.0.1) that I'm trying to use with Cubase. ClockWorks doesn't seem to be communicating with it correctly. ClockWorks software shows a blank tab for "Routings" and on the "Presets" tab all "User Presets" are blank. If I try to name a preset and click Save it crashes ClockWorks. See the attached .jpg for ClockWorks screen captures...

I see the MIDI ports in Cubase but when I try to trigger a sound on anything (virtual synth) it does not work. I see the front panel lights blink when I hit the MIDI keyboard but it does not seem to get conveyed to Cubase.

Additionally, MotuUsb64.sys crashed Windows at one point. While Windows was running and the MIDI Timepiece AV USB was connected to the machine I powered up the MTP-AV and it crashed Windows with this message...

"Your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart. We're just collecting some error info, and then we'll restart for you. If you'd like to know more, you can search online later for this error: SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED (MotuUsb64.sys)."

I've tried using both USB 2.0 ports and USB 3.0 ports with no difference. Even tried connecting through a USB 2.0 hub to see if that helped. Tried a different USB cable. Also I ran through the "How to Verify Your Device Is Affected By This Issue" steps from this Microsoft blog...

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/usbcoreblog/arc ... entmessage

...and no “Control In Transfer” item showed up under the device. So the fix in that blog does not seem to apply to my issue.

I've entered a TechLink on motu.com but have yet to get a reply.

Any ideas? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

CPU / Motherboard: Intel Core i7 / Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H
RAM: 16GB
MotuMidi64.sys: 4.0.6.6814
MotuUsb64.sys: 4.0.6.6814
Other hardware: MOTU 24i/o (working fine)
Bellsauce

Re: MTP-AV USB ClockWorks Problems - Blank Routings & Preset

Post by Bellsauce »

Hey there, sorry for the late response/thread digging.

Did you ever get this issue resolved? I ask because I am experiencing the identical issue and am currently working it out with MOTU support - but I imagine they will be closed all weekend. Searching for users with a similar / identical problem on the internet has proven nearly fruitless - this seems like a rare issue.

I've tried driver reinstalls, firmware updates, multiple Windows accounts, factory resets, multiple USB cables, and USB 2.0 and 3.0 ports.

I'm on WIN10 64-bit using a MOTU MIDI Express XT.

Any help or support greatly appreciated. :)
SinSeriously

Post by SinSeriously »

I did eventually get a reply from my MOTU.com techlink. However it was not successful. They just suggested the normal uninstalling and reinstalling of the drivers, doing a factory reset, trying to use another user account, and trying it on another machine. All of which did not help. Their last message was...

"Since this issue occurs on multiple computers, it appears that this is a hardware issue. Unfortunately, this unit is no longer serviceable for repairs through MOTU. As it has been out of production for several years at this point, we no longer stock the parts necessary to perform the repair/replacement. I would recommend seeking out a local electronics and/or music equipment store to see if a repair is possible. I apologize for the inconvenience; please let me know if you need anything else."

I ended up just buying a MOTU micro lite and it is working fine. Would have obviously preferred to get the original unit working though. Good luck with your issue.
Bellsauce

Post by Bellsauce »

Understood. Thanks for the response!
Pjsmallwood
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by Pjsmallwood »

Hey Guys,

We have recently purchased the Motu MIDI Express XT and are having the same issue with Clockworks diplaying blank values. Our work around has been to unplug the USB connection to the device and re-connect to our Mac. This then populates clockworks with the correct values.

So from what I've read, this is a hardware issue with the device?

I'm, trying to get through to Motu tech support but cannot call as I am based in the UK and I'm unable to register the express XT as it is currently locked away on location so I am unable to get the serial number!

Did you guys get any further with Motu?

Cheers,

Phil
SinSeriously

Post by SinSeriously »

Disconnecting and reconnecting the USB never worked for me. I've made no further attempts to deal with this since I purchased a MOTU micro lite and it is working fine for me. Good luck with your issue!
SEBSynth

Post by SEBSynth »

staying in the same thread.... can someone confirm that I'm stuck?

I just picked up an older Motu Express XT
Serial# MX-XTU46358, datecode: D/G
I'm running Win10 with the Motu driver ver 4.0.5.7483 04-30-13
1) I can send MIDI around via 5pin ports (no USB) to all the HW synths in mode 4 "Merge All".
2) I don't understand what Clockworks is connected to or not.... it says "MIDI Express XT" in the title bar with a red-ish button to the left. In the File menu the first option is "MIDI Express XT". But there is nothing shown in the Routings (see below).
3) I see all 8 of the 5Pin ports listed and the "MXPXT - Synce in-out all" in my DAW, StudioOne ver 2.6.5.30360, but nothing gets routed to these destinations from the DAW, even after triple checking the DAW MIDI mapping settings. :-(

Is this unit worthless cause of the ROM FW version? Can someone confirm that there is there no upgrading the FW this particular box?
Thanks everyone!
Steve
PS I just returned a new iConnectivity iConnectMIDI4 cause it had similar issues... is there no MIDI routing interface that works other than my PC? (weeping)

radium78

Post by radium78 »

Hi!

I´m not sure if this is already solved.

The reason is in avusb chip (eprom) inside the timepiece. If you use PC windows ex win7 64bit, then the chip must be v.1.32. V 1.31 works only MAC OS systems. So the firmware it not the proplem.

-PC and MAC AVUSB 1.32
-Only MAC AVUSB 1.31
'
-Rauno
Finland