Audio Express only receiving spdif on left channel

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
blameless
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Audio Express only receiving spdif on left channel

Post by blameless »

I've been trying to figure this out for a while. I'm running a Focusrite ISA One pre-amp (spdif out) in to the Express spdif in. The ISA is a mono pre-amp but outputs spdif stereo according to the manual (far as I'm aware all Spdif is stereo?).

I've used Cuemix to set Spdif channel 1 and 2 to stereo but I'm still only receiving audio on the left channel. If I pan cuemix hard right there's no sound.

Any thoughts? I may be missing something really simple. :oops:

Any help appreciated, thanks.
David_Focusrite
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Audio Express only receiving spdif on left channel

Post by David_Focusrite »

Hi Blameless,

You are correct in that the SPDIF Digital connection is a Stereo output. When using SPDIF, if you are only connecting a single Mic, Line, or Inst you will only get the left channel of the stereo pair.

With that said, you can also get the DI out as well via SPDIF which could give you a stereo pair.

It sounds like you will simply need to make a Mono track and choose SPDIF 1(L) as the Input in your DAW. Often times the SPDIF inputs may be listed as SPDIF L/R for your interface.

I hope this helps, but if you are still having issues; please start a case with us here : http://global.focusrite.com/answerbase/contact-0

Best,
David//Focusrite Technical Support