MIDI Timepiece II as a filtered splitter

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
Saber
Primary DAW OS: Windows

MIDI Timepiece II as a filtered splitter

Post by Saber »

Hi.

I'm considering buying a Timepiece II to use as a "filtered" MIDI splitter. I've read loads on the nets about the problems configuring these units with computers. I'd like to be able to send the MIDI ins to all MIDI outs, except the accompanying MIDI out, if that makes sense. Sort of MIDI splitter without feedback to the same device.

Is it possible to do on the device itself, without connecting it to a computer?

Thanks.
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: MIDI Timepiece II as a filtered splitter

Post by mikehalloran »

That's over 20 years old, I think.

I received an answer from MOTU support on a similar issue involving my 17 year old micro express.

Although the newer units have more connectivity, the basic MIDI functionality is little changed. I would find the current manual that most closely matches the ins/outs of the MTP II and see how to do what you want. You won't be able to hook it up to any Intel or USB Mac or PC but the basic stand-alone features are pretty much the same as long as SMPTE isn't an issue.

I think the MTP AV manual is the one you want to read.

http://www.motu.com/techsupport/manuals

These all use a CR2032 battery to retain the user settings. If it hasn't been changed in a few years, do so.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Saber

Post by Saber »

Thanks for the reply Mike.

According to the manual, one can route cables and channels on the display but there is no mention of splitting or merging. I bought the unit so we'll see how it goes. Arriving from Japan in the next two weeks. Hopefully I'll remember to update this thread when I've messed around with it.

To clarify, here's a flowchart of what I want it to do.
Saber

Post by Saber »

I can confirm that this is possible through the "Route by cables" function in the LCD menu. A smart 8x8 MIDI mixer/patchbay for $19 + shipping. Not bad.

:woohoo:
TJasienski

Post by TJasienski »

I've been using MTP II for last decade as a standalone MIDI splitter and merger, I confirm you can achieve the setup that you've drawn using 'Route by Cables' easily. When you get to this menu section, the display says "In_1>Out 1 Y/N". Use SELECT knob to change input and VALUE to change output, press YES/NO button to toggle between Y and N. You want to set N for all cases when input number = output number, and Y otherwise. It will require scrolling through all 64 combinations but still you should be able to set it up in a few minutes. Please contact me if you need more help with this old interface.
Two MTP II units working to split a single MIDI out to multiple sound modules. One MTPAV USB waiting to upgrade to AVUSB 1.32 chip - PM me if you got one.