Lack of supported Windows10 Drivers

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
terrybritton
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Re: Lack of supported Windows10 Drivers

Post by terrybritton »

Well, at least I have some good news to report. Many here know I use a program called Voicemeeter as a virtual mixer for my live video feeds. (And more often use Voicemeeter Pro "Banana" for that purpose as well.) I happened to discover that using Voicemeeter as my default playback device works MUCH better in translating sample rate changes than the MOTU Windows Audio Playback drivers. In fact, it is seamless.

I discovered it by accident, as I'd just finished a program and had not changed the default playback device from Voicemeeter as I usually had done. I accidentally had included a 96000kbps file in a playlist in Foobar, and it switched to it without any issues! So, now I use Voicemeeter as my default playback and recording device, and in fact have disabled the Motu Audio in the Device Manager entirely now (not uninstalled - disabled from a right-click -- it only affects the Windows Audio panel drivers.) I have the A1 device in Voicemeeter set to point to the ASIO MOTU box (at the bottom of the list) so it inherits the buffer settings of the ASIO setup. I have not experienced a glitch since, and have been testing for a while now.

If a donationware one-man software company can do a better job at an audio driver than MOTU has done, it is clear they aren't even trying at MOTU in my opinion, putting all their energies into the ASIO aspect.

Terry
Computer: Sweetwater CS400v7 Intel Core i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz | 64Gigs RAM | Windows 11 Pro x64 |
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid

DAWs & Live: MOTU Digital Performer 11.31 | Cantabile Performer 4
Keyboard Synths: Kawai K5000s, Korg Wavestation
Controllers: NI Komplete Kontrol S-88 Mk3 & S-49 Mk2; Maschine Mk3 & JAM;
Akai MPK249 & 225, Alesis QX49, Behringer BCF2000 & FCB1010
Rack Modules: Ensoniq ESQm, Yamaha TX81Z, Wavestation SR

Tutorials: https://youtube.com/@CreatorsMediaTools
TheRealRoach
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by TheRealRoach »

Wow so if I understand correctly, you're not using the motu driver at all? And instead have your moth device running properly with third party driver?
Mike Rocha
http://www.mikerocha.ca
Custom ADK, Quad 3.0ghz, 4gig ram, Win7 64-bit, Motu 3.6.7.3 x64 drivers
Macbook Pro 13" touchbar, High Sierra, 73220 drivers
Motu 896 x 4
terrybritton

Post by terrybritton »

TheRealRoach wrote:Wow so if I understand correctly, you're not using the motu driver at all? And instead have your moth device running properly with third party driver?
I am using the MOTU ASIO drivers, for sure!

But the WDM drivers they include are definitely inferior to the Voicemeeter interface, as they cannot respond to sample rate changes elegantly at all. I set Voicemeeter as the default audio playback and record device in the Windows Audio Control Panel for media player and YouTube video playback and never experience any glitching, even going from a 44.1K to a 96K file in the same playlist. The Motu WDM drivers totally choke on that.

I have Voicemeeters primary A1 playback device set as the MOTU ASIO drivers, which adopts the ASIO buffer settings for use by the rest of the system, so it is very well done.

I use the MOTU ASIO drivers for my DAWs and Cantabile 3 directly, just to clarify that detail.

However, if I ever needed to output my DAW or Cantable 3 to BOTH my MOTU device AND to my PC sound card simultaneously, Voicemeeter is accessible to the DAW as an ASIO device having the same buffer settings as the MOTU interface, yet can send through one of its secondary outputs (A2, A3) to the sound card in parallel. It can also channelize the output to other of my MOTU interface outputs the same signal for cases I need several of its outputs to be active, each having a separate volume level, for instance.

Terry
Computer: Sweetwater CS400v7 Intel Core i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz | 64Gigs RAM | Windows 11 Pro x64 |
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid

DAWs & Live: MOTU Digital Performer 11.31 | Cantabile Performer 4
Keyboard Synths: Kawai K5000s, Korg Wavestation
Controllers: NI Komplete Kontrol S-88 Mk3 & S-49 Mk2; Maschine Mk3 & JAM;
Akai MPK249 & 225, Alesis QX49, Behringer BCF2000 & FCB1010
Rack Modules: Ensoniq ESQm, Yamaha TX81Z, Wavestation SR

Tutorials: https://youtube.com/@CreatorsMediaTools
Joachip

Post by Joachip »

I have now reinstalled Windows 10 entirely. The problem with the card being in a confused state when powering up my system remains. I've tried various combinations of turning the soundcard on first, then the machine ... or the other way around. No difference.

The necessary steps for my card to work are still the same: Power up computer + soundcard (in any order). Then start up the "Motu PCI Audio Console" and get an odd error message. Start it up again (this time it will work) and tab to the samplerate dropdown, and then keep hitting Home/End/Home/End until it says 96000. Now your card is initialized and will run just fine.

I stick to ASIO and WaveOut (MME). DirectSound does not seem like a good idea, but I don't really need DS anyway, so it's okay.
Aviator

Post by Aviator »

Joachip wrote:I have now reinstalled Windows 10 entirely. The problem with the card being in a confused state when powering up my system remains. I've tried various combinations of turning the soundcard on first, then the machine ... or the other way around. No difference.

The necessary steps for my card to work are still the same: Power up computer + soundcard (in any order). Then start up the "Motu PCI Audio Console" and get an odd error message. Start it up again (this time it will work) and tab to the samplerate dropdown, and then keep hitting Home/End/Home/End until it says 96000. Now your card is initialized and will run just fine....

Same here. Tried all that as well. But the process of getting the thing working under windows 10 is like you described it. Finally it is working with this "work around" but this is breaking one's nerves to get it started. It's a pity Motu does not offer any solution for this. :banghead:
Joachip

Post by Joachip »

Good news, everyone! (to quite a famous cartoon character)

Okay so, I power up my system almost daily, and it seems that a Windows 10 update must have solved the problem yesterday, because my Motu PCI424 was suddenly detected correctly when powering up my machine yesterday. - And the success was repeated again today.

I haven't updated my Motu driver for quite some time (already running the latest version), so a Motu driver update cannot be the explanation, which is why I think a Windows update must be the reason. Also, the missing-driver-on-power-up even affected my network interface some months ago, which is another sign this wasn't Motu's fault.

I will be monitoring the situation further, to see if the problem stays away.
toddbooster

Post by toddbooster »

This has got me nervous, as I have been very seriously considering buying a 624. So my question is are people having similar driver problems in Windows 10 with the newer hardware? The "Pro Audio" drivers seem to be a lot newer (Oct. 16 2017), so I wonder if they're better supported.
Intel Core i7 8700K, 32 GB, Windows 10 Pro, DP 10.13, MOTU Ultralite AVB.
mesayre

Post by mesayre »

I just picked up an Ultralite AVB and have been having a great time with it.

I did have to do a firmware update because I got it second-hand. But Man! Mine is performing really well.
DP 10 - Win 10 - Ultralite AVB
Joachip

Solved: Lack of supported Windows10 Drivers

Post by Joachip »

Okay, final solution (from a sysadmin friend of mine who cracked it), and this time I'm confident we have a working solution. And yes, this is indeed a Windows problem, not a Motu problem, as this has affected my network interface too. So without further ado, I present to you...

THE SOLUTION

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-disa ... st-startup

Basically you have to go to Power Options, change what the power buttons do, then click "Change settings that are currently unavailable" and then disable "Fast startup". Voilá!

I would say it's safe to buy Motu. This is the only issue I've had, and now everything runs smooth.
emulatorloo
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by emulatorloo »

Hi Joachip:

I just got a “new” used Windows 10 machine that has a PCI slot for my old PCI 424.

Can you tell me which driver you installed?

Was it this one?

MOTU Audio Installer v4.0.6.6814 (Release Date 2015-10-28)

Thanks!
revnice
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by revnice »

Having supported me for over a year on Win 10, MOTU suddenly told me that the original Traveler isn't supported on Win 10. They said go back to Windows 7 or get another interface.
It does work on 10 but you have to shut down Win 10 updates, they will constantly screw around with Cuemix. If any of you are having trouble with the 4.0.6.6814 firewire driver, take a look in Device Manager under Properties > Event for an error that says, 'Requires further installation.'
If you see that error, the best way to deal with it is to uninstall the device and get one of those horrible driver updater programs that no one recommends, to update it.

rev
jsr

Post by jsr »

revnice wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 9:50 am MOTU suddenly told me that the original Traveler isn't supported on Win 10
Having been severely disappointed with MOTU's support of their hardware on Windows, I've long departed for the shores of RME. There is still an 828MkII attached via ADAT, but the interface is a RayDAT. Give yourself some peace and make the change; you'll never have to worry about drivers again, and the amount of time and frustration you will save will more than pay for the investment.