Audacity and TotalRecorder don't hear UltraLite AVB.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
ronausti
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Audacity and TotalRecorder don't hear UltraLite AVB.

Post by ronausti »

Pro Tools 11 and Skype hear my MOTU UltraLite AVB, but Audacity and Total Recorder do not. Anyone got a how-to for setting these up? I've tried seemingly every possible combination of audio host and input (and for that matter output) settings, no luck.

Not wanting to meddle with something that isn't otherwise broke, I haven't checked for driver updates (if any) since last spring, but the UltraLite's firmware is up-to-date. Anyway, these are not new programs, so I'd be surprised if they require a new driver. And I can't imagine that MOTU won't support Audacity.

Total Recorder works fine in "Software" mode ... I can record Skype, videos, and webinars, etc. But all the Soundboard settings just flatline. I ordinarily use TotalRecorder's Kernel-mode filter driver, but its other two driver options don't work for this either.

I've getting plenty of action in the MOTU "console"'s Monitor and Main Mix strips and neither is muted. Am connected to the PC via Ethernet, because MOTU advises that ability to save presets still doesn't work on a USB connection.

One thought -- In Windows' system tray audio, the Recording and Playback preferences are both set to MOTU, but it says "MOTU AVB USB Audio." I originally set myself up with a USB connection, but because of the presets problem, MOTU said I should switch to Ethernet. I've assumed that this is must a matter of whatever label I gave to the driver, but is it deeper than that? Should I also have switched or reinstalled the driver?

Windows 7 x64
16 Gig memory
ASUS AMD mobo
mobo sound is disabled in BIOS
Audacity 2.1.0
Total Recorder 8.5 (build 5530) VideoPro
ronausti
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Re: Audacity and TotalRecorder don't hear UltraLite AVB.

Post by ronausti »

I can't believe it's been three years since posting the above! For the record, although I don't recall how Audacity fared, I've been using TotalRecorder with my UltraLite AVB for years, with great delight. Choose the "Sound Board" option in the input setup. No need to change from the usual driver.

Unfortunately, I've had to take the UltraLite out of service for another reason -- a couple months ago, it stopped "hearing" my computer and started giving me the Microsoft Blue Screen of Death (BSOD). Motu Support has checked given this their attention and even checked out the hardware (apparently okay), and let me try a beta driver, with no cure.

So I'm back to using my ancient E-Mu 1616 MicroDock. Which TotalRecorder and Audacity cannot hear.