UltraLite MkIII Hybrid & Windows 10

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
rorytheherb
Primary DAW OS: Windows

UltraLite MkIII Hybrid & Windows 10

Post by rorytheherb »

Hi all
Just joined the forum to ask this question. A few months ago I picked up an Ultralite Mk3 Hybrid, and began using it via USB on my ASUS N56J-N laptop running Windows 8.1 Home. While running a few VSTi's to synthesize MIDI in Cycling '74 Max/MSP 7, I was experiencing unacceptable audio dropouts and static.

Since this doubles as a work/all-around laptop I am currently unable to fully optimize the computer for USB audio. However I have heard good things about Windows 10 for USB AUdio and audio in general, and had not heard any issues for running the MOTU in Windows 10. So I backed everything up and did the update.

2 things happened. The first was that ASUS has no plans to write drivers for the trackpad on my laptop so scrolling was anoyingly disabled. The second thing was that when I plugged in the MOTU, there was no pop-up indicating the presence of a new hardware device. Uninstalling and re-installing the driver did not work. Opening CueMix (which had remained installed along with all my other applications), I got a window indicating there was no connected device. After about half an hour I gave up and (luckily effortlessly) reverted back to Windows 8. So I am still putting up with audio issues but everything works.

I want to know if anyone else experienced issues or has had any luck running the Ultralite Mk 3 Hybrid in Windows 10. I have another computer that I would setup on Windows 10 as a dedicated audio machine if I hear any encouraging news.

Thanks in advance

r
terrybritton

Re: UltraLite MkIII Hybrid & Windows 10

Post by terrybritton »

I have no issues in Windows 10 now, but I do recommend you read this post and follow the instructions there to uninstall and reinstall your drivers and software once in Windows 10. http://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtop ... 30#p514355

Windows 10 has much better WinRT/Wasapi audio subsystem, so it likely is worth doing the upgrade. But frankly, not having scroll on my trackpad would be the main reason for me not to upgrade! :-)

There's no rush - it will be a free upgrade for another 10 months and 8.1 works fine.

Terry
Computer: Sweetwater CS400v7 Intel Core i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz | 64Gigs RAM | Windows 11 Pro x64 |
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid

DAWs & Live: MOTU Digital Performer 11.31 | Cantabile Performer 4
Keyboard Synths: Kawai K5000s, Korg Wavestation
Controllers: NI Komplete Kontrol S-88 Mk3 & S-49 Mk2; Maschine Mk3 & JAM;
Akai MPK249 & 225, Alesis QX49, Behringer BCF2000 & FCB1010
Rack Modules: Ensoniq ESQm, Yamaha TX81Z, Wavestation SR

Tutorials: https://youtube.com/@CreatorsMediaTools
rorytheherb

Re: UltraLite MkIII Hybrid & Windows 10

Post by rorytheherb »

The ASUS laptop i had was stolen. My new one has windows 10 and the MOTU and cuemix seem to work fine!

Another question- if I get a second ultralite hybrid mk3 can I use them together seemlessly in windows 10 via USB2?