Another 828 mkII dropping out

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
ironcut
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Another 828 mkII dropping out

Post by ironcut »

Hi,
I'm a long time user of motu products (the first 2408, 828 mkII, usb micro express), and I've always loved these.
I have now a problem with my motu 828 mkII firewire (on windows 7 pro).
When i turn on the device, this works 20 or 30 seconds playing music, then the audio signal disappears, the display that shows the sample rate on the motu turns off, the audio meters too.
The device seems completely turned off indeed, but when I turn off its power switch, it produces the typical crackle, so I think that the device is still partially active. Simultaneously the players or musical softwares on the Pc stop responding.
I tried to update the drivers for 828
I selected a "legacy" driver for the firewire controller, as recommended in another motunation thread
I could not try the reset to factory settings because the main display of the motu is not working (this did not work before and it is not a serious problem for me).
I tried a "reset voltage", (although I do not know exactly what it is).

The device has the same problem and turn off the display of sample rate also disconnected from the PC. So I think in a possible supply problem.

When I turn on the 828, other oddities can happen (not always): the various displays that light up at the same time, levels, inputs, sample rates. Just before I have this problem I observed sound breaks during about one second using cubase.

All this seems to me quite serious... :? some advices?

(Sorry for my english)
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Another 828 mkII dropping out

Post by mikehalloran »

I bought he of the last of those made. It is over 8 years old now. Occasionally, we get posts about the power supplies and other things that go wrong but nothing detailed about what it takes to fix one.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
ironcut
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by ironcut »

I understand. Thank you for your answer :)
I know it's unlikely to have here a "recipe" to solve a problem of this kind. I'd be happy just to have a "diagnosis": perhaps someone has already had a similar problem and has understood the cause, perhaps sent to repair the card or decided to change it ...
P.S. this morning the 828 worked long enough: heating problem?

Thanks again
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

If you search the threads, you'll find reports of the mkII and the older 828mkIII acting up when they get hot and working again after a cool down period. It doesn't seem to affect the Hybrid and X.

One person posted that he beefed up the power supply by removing a resistor and using adding caps on the rails and that fixed it. Unfortunately, he didn't go into detail and that was his only post. I tried searching for it just now but couldn't find.
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Here's the link:

http://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtop ... il#p497447

I wish he was more detailed. As you can see, it was the only post.