Multiple MTP AV USB Interfaces?

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
resortrecords
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Multiple MTP AV USB Interfaces?

Post by resortrecords »

Hi all,

Anybody running multiple MTP AV USB MIDI interfaces on Windows? Any caveats?

I'm running Sonar Platinum on Windows 8.1 with a single MTP AV right now and it's 100% reliable. But I need more ins/outs and would prefer to stick with what works - and, ideally, without installing more drivers.

Any advice is appreciated.
TJasienski

Re: Multiple MTP AV USB Interfaces?

Post by TJasienski »

Probably you could achieve this with networking two MTPAV units, the second one might even be paralell version if you don't like installing more drivers. The drawback is that it will give you only 8 outputs on PC but 16 outputs in the patchbay, with a possibility to use MIDI routing to get to the remaining outputs (for example splitting by channels).

The other option is to install two MTPAV units on two USB ports, but it will probably require adding drivers for the second unit.
Two MTP II units working to split a single MIDI out to multiple sound modules. One MTPAV USB waiting to upgrade to AVUSB 1.32 chip - PM me if you got one.
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by mikehalloran »

If connecting both via USB, best to have firmware 2.0.1. It's burned in and upgrade chips were discontinued in 2012.

If linking them, the second can be any version including the non-USB. These and USB without the latest firmware are cheap on eBay.

Change the CR2032 batteries every few years.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
TJasienski

Post by TJasienski »

mikehalloran wrote: If linking them, the second can be any version including the non-USB. These and USB without the latest firmware are cheap on eBay.
According to MOTU website, it should be possible to link even to the old MTP II. Did anyone try this successfully?
Two MTP II units working to split a single MIDI out to multiple sound modules. One MTPAV USB waiting to upgrade to AVUSB 1.32 chip - PM me if you got one.
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by mikehalloran »

TJasienski wrote:
mikehalloran wrote: If linking them, the second can be any version including the non-USB. These and USB without the latest firmware are cheap on eBay.
According to MOTU website, it should be possible to link even to the old MTP II. Did anyone try this successfully?
Good question. I have a serial/parallel Micro Express but I've never tried linking it to my MTP-AV USB. According to the web site, that should work, too. I have never owned more than 8 MIDI modules and keyboards so I never went there.

I tried many times to sell it on eBay and always expected that the selling points would be that I have the manual and it still works in XP. I'll have to find some time to see if it works as an expander to my MTP — perhaps, then I might find someone who wants it.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro