New to 896mk3 Hybrid: General Questions

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
mcraven
Primary DAW OS: Windows

New to 896mk3 Hybrid: General Questions

Post by mcraven »

Hi, All...

I'm coming over from a Presonus 1818VSL to a 896mk3 Hybrid. To be honest, the process has been a bit challenging as there are some MOTU surprises that I didn't expect but I think I'm getting there. I'm trying not to be too critical as I'm used to what I'm used to and sometimes different isn't worse... it's just different! :)

1) I'm on Windows 7... I've struggled to get my studio PC upgraded to Win10. Is sticking with Win7 a good plan? Does the MOTU driver mess with the upgrade process? Does MOTU software work OK with Win10 at this point?

2) Is there anyway to "hide" unused inputs/mixes/outputs on the LCD interface or in the Windows CueFX app? Not required but, with so many options, it might be nice to hide things when they are not in use.

3) I'm seeing lag between input audio and the LED meters on the unit and on the meters that are in the Win app. Everything is working but the meters seem "behind". Is this normal?

4) With my Presonus, computer output (DAW, Standalone virtual instruments, general audio playback) appeared in the mixer as a separate "input". The only way I've been able to make this work without always having to run in the DAW is to connect the SPDIF output directly to the SPDIF input and "play" everything in Windows out to the MOTU SPDIF output. This allows me to mix the SPDIF input into any one of the available buses. Is there a better way?

Sorry to drag on... I'm new... wanted to say HI and to get some general feedback from more experience users.

Cheers
mcraven
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Re: New to 896mk3 Hybrid: General Questions

Post by mcraven »

One other question...

If I have a choice on FW versus USB2 interface to 896mk3, is there a benefit? Specifically, does the higher bandwidth and duplex operation benefit the operation of the unit or the Windows interface?

Today I was playing audio from Windows via the SPDIF O/P and the meters in the CueFX Windows apps seemed to get even slower and choppier (see my post above). Is this due to a limitation within the 896 itself, Windows, or the pipe (ie. USB2).

Many thanx.