Motu 896 Mk3 No sound

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
JahsonMiles
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Motu 896 Mk3 No sound

Post by JahsonMiles »

Greetings.

Hopefully some kind soul will be able to help me out with this issue. I will try make this as simple as possible. I have just purchased a Motu 896 MK3.

The main bits I feel relevant:
Windows 8.1 (latest drivers)
TI Firewire Card
Motu 896 MK3 (not hybrid just firewire version)
Peavey 16 channel mixing console
Cubase 5

Now all I'm trying to do is get sound from my Cubase through the Motu to my mixing console then have that route back from the console through the motu to cubase.

The only problem at the moment is getting sound to the Motu. I have had sound coming into the Motu a few times and I can get sound from my mixing desk to the motu as I have just recorded a vocal test directly into the mixing desk... registers on the analog input on the Motu and has been recorded successfully in cubase.

I just cannot seem to get any sound from the PC to the Motu. Sometimes like now... the Motu Audio Console does not load up. It seems to load up once then I cannot load it again until I either re-install the software... or re-install the drivers to the firewire card. I have tried 2 firewire cards... one which wasn't TI and this one that I have just received which is TI.

Sound should be getting to the Motu from the PC, unless it's some form of setting on the Motu itself but I have since receiving it reset it to factory settings.

I have a film running in the background on VLC and have set it to Motu Main out 1-2 and I see sound going into the card in the playback devices. So I am a bit stumped...

It's all analog wiring besides the firewire cable. Any thoughts or ideas?

I will keep persisting as I cannot let it go until I have set my studio up :p and I will also let you know if I have come across a solution.

Many thanks for your time.
JahsonMiles

Re: Motu 896 Mk3 No sound

Post by JahsonMiles »

Well... that's really strange. I just reset the Motu back to factory settings rebooted the computer and now I have sound coming to the mixing desk.

Guess it's been resolved :P fingers crossed it will stay like that or I'll be back :P

Cheers anyway
JahsonMiles

Post by JahsonMiles »

Now then :p

Seems I have gone from no sound to... ridiculously loud sound. when I touch my keyboard lightly the sound peaks. I don't quite understand Cumix as when I change things they don't seem to make any difference.

I could change the volume through cubase but to be honest even if I play a film it is really loud... Any ideas? :)

Many thanks

(Let's see if I answer this in a few minutes :P)
JahsonMiles

Post by JahsonMiles »

Yup figured it :)... had to select the monitor buttons in cuemix then adjust via the monitor level ;)

I might be back to ask myself some more questions a bit later we shall soon see :P