828x crashing constantly.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
atomheart411
Primary DAW OS: Windows

828x crashing constantly.

Post by atomheart411 »

Suddenly I can't listen to music more than 5 minutes before it turns into static. I have Motu main out 1+2 set as the default audio device. I have to go through a total reboot including disconnecting the TB cable before rebooting the computer and then rebooting the 828x. Is there some inherent incompatibility between Cuefx, the 828x drivers, and Spotify?
monkey man
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: 828x crashing constantly.

Post by monkey man »

atomheart411 wrote:Suddenly I can't listen to music more than 5 minutes before it turns into static.
That's modern music for you, brother. :lol:

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
atomheart411

Post by atomheart411 »

Well now it's constantly crashing in Ableton or anything. I'm pretty sure it is software but I'm not totally sure. It seems to happen while I'm in the midst of tweaking something on Cuemix. Suddenly it just disappears from devices and I get the standard "no device detected to support cuemix". But sometimes it only disappears from the "playback devices" tab under the volume control. And sometimes it disappears from the device manager section under the control panel as well (or not ).
More curiously, even though cuemix just shuts down, I can retstart it and then continue to hear play back but the input is just static. I can hear the playback whether or not cuemix is open. Which brings up another problem.I can't really control the playback in cue mix. The bus assignments don't seem to work.
For example, monitor set at "Mains out". Under the Output tab only Mains 1-2 set to monitor. Under the Mixes tab Bus 1 set to Mains 1-2. Except the Bus mute does nothing as does the fader. If I unclick the "monitor" button at the bottom of the Mains 1-2 Output section I get a big volume jump as it reverts to the Master output within Ableton.
So bottom line it seems like Cuemix and Ableton just aren't working together well. Computer and828 set at 48kHz. Windows 7x64 running an Asus P8Z77-V Pro/Thunderbolt motherboard. Ableton Live 8.4.1
atomheart411

Post by atomheart411 »

So support says it's a lack of thunderbolt support from Windows. But Motu keeps putting out more TB interfaces. But to me it seems to me that there is some strangeness going on specifically between Live and Cuemix. Sometimes when I have both open and I just put the cuemic window down, the buzzing stops. Bring the cuemix window back up and the noise comes with it. But like everything else with this unit, it's never consistent.
Isn't anybody using an 828x on a Windows7 machine?
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

I think folks are sticking with USB or ethernet for now at least.

MOTU is apparently working on the TB-for-Windows thing, but I read somewhere that USB optimisation is a priority for now. I think that was about 6 weeks ago.

My advice: Stick with USB for now. At least the channel count is up to 64 I/O now. Once the TB side of things is cookin', you can switch over for (hopefully) improved channel-count headroom and stability. It should handle even the lowest buffer settings flawlessly too.

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
atomheart411

Post by atomheart411 »

Sorry for the long delay. I tried W10 and everything went kablewie. Had to do a clean re-install. But in the process I did do a BIOS update. When everything was back in order and I fired up the 828x the crackling noise was still on the inputs. Same scenario between CueMix and Live. But Ben from support suggested looking at the anti-virus, which I hadn't done before. I'm not usually on line while working audio.But I shut the Norton Security Suite down completely and lo and behold, like 90% of the noise went away. That last 10% seems to come and go with CueMix, just like before. And then there's the completely random crackle/pop regardless of what's open.
So it's much better and even though my first foray into W10 blew up in my face, I am going to try it again.I have to believe that the BIOS update will help a lot.BTW, I did try going the USB route before the big crash and it had it's own sort of weirdness. Like no meter levels even though signal was passing through.But I will keep the USB in mind for after the W10 upgrade.Very good news about Motu working to get the TB drivers up to snuff.
Praise and thanks to Motu support. Definitely felt like they had my back.
gruzina

Post by gruzina »

:shock:
I am usually MAC user but I got my self new gaming station (see signature*)
and decided to install few audio stuff and connect my 828x VIA USB cable to USB 3/2 connection .
on my mac pro the 828x works perfect with logic and protools 10 no noise or wired crash issues ..
but on the other hand on my pc machine windows 7 SP1 with all the latest updates installed !!! :banghead: damn microsoft corp LOL
the 828x seem's to have hard time to get along with windows audio sepcs.
I disabled my on-board audio (from the bios setup)
I turn on my 828x the unit powers up windows recognized the driver
but no sound coming trough the monitors or headphones or any output ,
im using Presonus Stuio One v3 on this machine also tried using it with Reaper but nothing :( ~!
sometimes the audio do come trough the unit for awhile ...
maybe win 8 or 10 will work better for me ... ?
I can suggest to turn off audio codec in the bios for any one who uses external audio interface especially Pro audio stuff

but when it comes to windows OS it looks like the problem is in the Operation System and not MOTU ...
so im still trying to figure it out ....
Personal Equipment list:
Mac Pro (2015)
Power PC spec:
CPU Intel 5820K 3.4GHZ (4.4GHZ_OC)
MotherBoard:Gigabyte X99ud4p
Memory: Vengence by Crosair 16GB DDR4 2333Mhz
Graphic Card : Nvidia Geforce 730 GT 2GB GDDR5

Sound Equipment:
Motu 828x !!!
Some cool analog Outboard preamps mics etc...
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

I worked over a dozen years in a Windows environment ncluding tech support but never could like it. Trying to make an app work with everything else is close to impossible.

It's hard enough being good on the Mac. Even though Apple's '1984' commercial is dripping in irony thirty one years later, their rigid lock on the OS and hardware does make compatibility easier.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Djay2xtreme

Post by Djay2xtreme »

I've owned Macs for well over 10 years and have used other interfaces with them with no problems but I have now owned the 828x for 4 years and have had nothing but problems with it. Constantly cuts out, shoots out high pitched sounds randomly, stops playing audio then comes back on randomly. This happens in iTunes, Ableton live, Logic, While listening to stuff on youtube. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers multiple times, I have wiped out my computer completely back to default setting, I have been on the phone with motu and they can't supply me with any answers. This thing is the most expensive paperweight I have ever wasted my money on and would never purchase another Motu product again in the future.
terrybritton

Post by terrybritton »

I have an 828 mk3 hybrid, but perhaps what I experienced applies to your case, even though I'm on Windows and you are on MacOSX.

It seems the drivers provided all require that the box change sample rate INTERNALLY when the content's sample rate changes. Videos, music content in playlists -- all have two "standard" sample rates (44.1 and 48K) with music throwing in two new common ones on high-def music files (88.2 and 96K), and you never know when the sample rate being delivered is going to change. These drivers do not appear to apply any sample rate conversion -- they instead wait upon the box to grind gears changing its sample rate, which is inelegant because the program material is playing while this is going on!

I do not know the answer for interfacing your media playing (ie., not a DAW) stuff via something that DOES perform sample-rate conversion on-the-fly in between the content delivery mechanism (iTunes and other media players, browser) and the outputs to the MOTU device. I use Voicemeeter on Windows, which cured the problem entirely. I am not aware of a similar application for Macs simply because I've never looked for one.

Good luck with that! Let me know if that does seem to concur with how your device operates.

Terry
Computer: Sweetwater CS400v7 Intel Core i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz | 64Gigs RAM | Windows 11 Pro x64 |
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid

DAWs & Live: MOTU Digital Performer 11.31 | Cantabile Performer 4
Keyboard Synths: Kawai K5000s, Korg Wavestation
Controllers: NI Komplete Kontrol S-88 Mk3 & S-49 Mk2; Maschine Mk3 & JAM;
Akai MPK249 & 225, Alesis QX49, Behringer BCF2000 & FCB1010
Rack Modules: Ensoniq ESQm, Yamaha TX81Z, Wavestation SR

Tutorials: https://youtube.com/@CreatorsMediaTools