Beginner Question: Routing and Volume

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
tobimotu
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Beginner Question: Routing and Volume

Post by tobimotu »

Dear Motuheads,

first of all sorry for my ultra beginner question!
I'm usually using a different interface brand and a friend has provided me
his Ultralite MK3 as a backup system for several upcoming shows.

I'm setting it up and have two problems/questions.
I cannot reach him and the manual is super big. So I hoped you could quickly
chime in and help!

1. How can I route Ableton OUT 1/2 to MOTU Analog OUT 1/2?
At the moment I think Ableton OUT 1/2 goes to MOTU MAIN OUT, while Ableton OUT 3/4 goes to MOTU Analog OUT 1/2.

2. How can I change Output Volumes (or actually see signal movements) in CueMIX? No matter what I do (sound is heard), theres nothing happening in there? Do I need another software? I'm very used to RME's Total Mix so I'm a bit lost here.

Thanks a lot!!!!
Tobi
stubbsonic
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Beginner Question: Routing and Volume

Post by stubbsonic »

I'm sorry you're not getting any help here. I'm a mac user so I can't help you.

Hopefully some windows user will jump in and give you some advice.

Perhaps by now you've cracked open the f'n manual and have figured it out.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by mikehalloran »

Also on a Mac...

Here is where you can download the manual in .pdf. Unlike the paper one, this file is searchable which should help.
http://www.motu.com/techsupport/manuals

This does require drivers. You want the latest MOTU Audio Installer for Windows.
http://www.motu.com/download
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
RonaldDumsfeld
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by RonaldDumsfeld »

Just seen this. I suspect the OP has figured it out for himself by now but for the benefit of future readers I'll try and answer anyway. This situation is actually quite logical and straightforward once you get it but a common source of confusion for beginners.
1. How can I route Ableton OUT 1/2 to MOTU Analog OUT 1/2?
At the moment I think Ableton OUT 1/2 goes to MOTU MAIN OUT, while Ableton OUT 3/4 goes to MOTU Analog OUT 1/2.
That's right. That's how it works. In the default install options MOTU main out 1-2 are set to mirror MOTU line outs 1-2. They should be the exact same output. So logically the controls and slightly less logically the channel metering are disabled on MOTU Main outs 1-2.

So the simplest course of action is to remember that Ableton doesn't see the mirroring and adjust the output assignment accordingly. i.e. Ableton main outs 1-2 should go to MOTU line outs 1-2. Like the OP figured.
2. How can I change Output Volumes (or actually see signal movements) in CueMIX? No matter what I do (sound is heard), theres nothing happening in there? Do I need another software? I'm very used to RME's Total Mix so I'm a bit lost here.
See above. Use the controls and metering for MOTU line out 1-2 instead of MOTU main out 1-2.

Alternatives include going in to the MOTU audio console and setting up MOTU main outs as a separate output pair in their own right or sending you main output signal to MOTU S/PDIF out. Looping the cable back to MOTU S/PDIF in and using you DAW output as an input to Cuemix.