Tech Questions about PCIe-424 and 2408mkII or...

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
Mathematics
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Tech Questions about PCIe-424 and 2408mkII or...

Post by Mathematics »

I'm curious to use the PCIe-424 with an 2408mkII here in my home studio because the card I currently use is not liked by DP8. To minimize costs in testing equipment out, I'm looking to buy a used PCIe-424 and 2408mkII combo on eBay.

The technical questions are as follows:

1) What exactly is the signal flow in this interface when it's all connected in terms of playback of audio? For example, what role do the DSPs in the interface and the card have when paying a sample.

2) If the 2408 can record at a max of 48kHz, can I play files that I recorded at 96kHz though the PCIe-424? If so, is the signal through the proprietary AudioWire down-sampled audio data so that the 2408 can output a signal?

I found this nested in documentation

"SAMPLE RATE ISSUES
While the PCIe-424 card can operate at sample rates as high
as 192 kHz, not all MOTU PCI audio interfaces support the
higher rates. When choosing high sample rates (above 48
kHz) interfaces that do not support the rate will be
temporarily taken off line by the system."

I guess that answers that.

I'm still curious about the first question.
PC, Win7, DP 9.12, i7/Xeon multi-system gigabit network, Live 9 Suite, Pro Tools, M4L, Melodyne, Waves, Wave Arts, Native Instruments, Xfer, Spectralayers 3, Vienna, EastWest, Izotope, Mackie, Yamaha, AVID, Adobe, MOTU 2408mk3, ART, Rode, Tascam, Sennheiser, dbx, Korg, Akai
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Tech Questions about PCIe-424 and 2408mkII or...

Post by mikehalloran »

I'm still curious about the first question.
Is that not also in thee documentation?
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Mathematics

Post by Mathematics »

Hi Mike,

The information is vague regarding the internal processing architecture. Let me ask a different question relative to what I'm hoping to understand. Is there, at any time, any analog signal going unprocessed through the MKII?
PC, Win7, DP 9.12, i7/Xeon multi-system gigabit network, Live 9 Suite, Pro Tools, M4L, Melodyne, Waves, Wave Arts, Native Instruments, Xfer, Spectralayers 3, Vienna, EastWest, Izotope, Mackie, Yamaha, AVID, Adobe, MOTU 2408mk3, ART, Rode, Tascam, Sennheiser, dbx, Korg, Akai
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

All the processing is digital. Last I checked, used 2408mkIII, 24i/o and HD192 are all available. It looks to me that you should be considering on or more of those to do what you want. That 424 card can handle up to 4 units, mix and match.
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Mathematics

Post by Mathematics »

mikehalloran wrote:All the processing is digital.
Mike, thank you for the prompt response. I'm starting to see the bigger picture a but clearer.

Yes, you are correct on the MKIII and indeed, I would have preferred it but the MKII just happened to be included in the sale. Besides, the motivation for the aforementioned Core system was meant to be an addition of MOTU hardware as a compatibility test for DP8 in my system with a PCIe base for audio playback. If it all works out, I'll just stick with MOTU and RME from now on.

Thank you again.
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

I'll be selling three 24I/O units and a 424e card soon, Mathematics. All brand-new condition as they've been used for some testing only. All packaging, manuals etc.

We're not allowed to advertise here, so consider this statement a public service announcement. :lol:

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
Mathematics

Post by Mathematics »

monkey man wrote:I'll be selling three 24I/O units and a 424e card soon
Keep me posted for the Card. I don't mind having a back-up system or starting a second build. I hope the used Core system I just bought works properly when it arrives in a few days. If not...I'll be knocking.

Thanks!
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Hey, if the coconut bungalow's a rockin', don't come a knockin' brah!

I'll be selling some synths and the money from these sales, combined with my 2 instalments so far, should get me over the line. I've got the jitters about this whole thing, so the idea is now to purchase and set the AVB network up and fully test it. If it proves to be a dud for my setup over USB, failing the higher-latency ethernet-card option which I could always fall back on (maybe), I'll sell the interfaces and return to my trusty ol' 424 setup.

I intended to simply upgrade largely through the sale of the existing system, but as I said, I'm getting cold feet, so an overlap has to be engineered. I'll keep you informed, but this is going to drag on for a while now due to the synth sales' having to be implemented. Further to this, I'll have to organise 6 D-Sub snakes for the 24Ai units; depending on what they cost, an additional delay is possible.

Just letting you know. Sorry I can't make it all happen overnight for you, Math.

Mathematics

Post by Mathematics »

I'm in no rush whatsoever. Nothing has come in so far and even when it does, it takes a little bit of testing (if it's not DOA) to see if the 424 is even the best route for my needs...I may just go RME; however, that won't be for a bit, unless I can find a good deal. In fact, that's really how I get my gear. I am patient. Someone is always buying something and after months of just looking at it all, they realize that they've gone in way over their head and can't return it. That's my opportunity.

In fact, no matter what it is, music or love; with a little bit of patience, the right gear/person comes along the way.
Last edited by Mathematics on Thu Jun 11, 2015 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

It's statestical... er, statistics, the law of large numbers, and downright good ol' mathematics, Mathematics! I 100%-heartedly agree, brah!

Mate, I won't repeat yet again how long I've been celibate, just patiently waiting, as you suggest, for my "number" to come up. I will tell you 'though that the music "wait", employing a low-budget version of your modicum operetta, has been over 20 years... so far, with at least 18 months to 2 years to go 'till I'm fully fuelled with the gear, the plugs and hopefully the good sense to make a fist of it.

The risk, IMHO, with this game of patience is that one might allow one's passion to wane to the point that it's non-recoverable. There've been many dark periods where I thought I'd lost mine for good, but then, just like a bad smell that won't go away, it rears its frustratingly-provocative head and I'm propelled back into the clouds and dreaming of the day yet again.

I suspect you can relate, mate.

FWIMBW, even if the timing doesn't work out with the 424 card, you'll be fine as eBay seems to have had many out there for sale on the cheap these past few years. I'm guessing it's because folks usually want to by this interface or that as they piece their systems together, meaning that sellers end up splitting their wares and winding up with just the PCI card, which they're then keen to get rid of just to bring the selling saga to a conclusion. With 3 interfaces and 1 card, I fully expect this scenario to manifest when the time comes for me to sell too. That is, if the AVB thing holds its end up OK.

Good luck to both of us in our marathon mathematical sagas, I say.

Mathematics

Post by Mathematics »

Ultimately...I ended up buying a PCIe-424 and a 2408 MK3. After some more research, I decided on the MK3 for improved stability and the improvement of the internal battery situation that the MK2 had.

For the record. Win7 with the 2408 MK3 and PCIe-424 Core system, installed with MOTU's drivers on the website, work just fine. Definitely install the drivers first, then the card. MOTU's installation says only PCI and not PCIe but the installer works for the PCIe card - in case anyone questions the listing for only the PCI-424 interface during the installation process on a Windows system.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Mathematics wrote:Ultimately...I ended up buying a PCIe-424 and a 2408 MK3. After some more research, I decided on the MK3 for improved stability and the improvement of the internal battery situation that the MK2 had.
That's good you got the mk 3. I was just about to say the mk 2 is getting pretty old. I'm hanging on to mine in case it becomes "vintage".
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Of course the mkIII but I am curious. What battery issue?
Mathematics

Post by Mathematics »

I discovered this thread:

http://www.sawstudiouser.com/forums/sho ... hp?t=15757

The last two posts on that loading page describe that the mk1 & mk2 use a battery to save configuration data...probably similar to that utilized in a motherboard for BIOS data, whereas the mk3 appears to use ROM. Needless to say, not having to open a device up to change a battery is a good incentive to choose that device over one that does.

Do I believe everything I read on the web? Certainly not, however, I found some validity in the conversation. Besides, having a third device that can record at 96kHz is like having a second spare tire and the the information in the aforementioned thread, was the final nail on the coffin for the mk2.
Mathematics

Post by Mathematics »

bayswater wrote:...the mk 2 is getting pretty old. I'm hanging on to mine in case it becomes "vintage".
Lol. Collectors will pay more if you got the original receipt and box. :)