Quick question about 8pre WDM/ASIO driver?

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
Deege
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Quick question about 8pre WDM/ASIO driver?

Post by Deege »

Okay, so I currently own a Presonus Firepod, which uses a WDM driver (which means all of the inputs and outputs appear in Windows 7 under "Recording Devices" and "Playback Devices.")

A band that I regularly record for recently bought their own Presonus Studiolive board, which I had been considering getting one for myself so that I could have 16 inputs/preamps instead of just 8. But it turns out, the Studiolive only uses ASIO drivers, which means that the individual inputs on the board do not appear in Windows' control panel - only in a DAW that has ASIO capability. I prefer to use a really old version of Adobe Audition (1.5) which does not support ASIO drivers...so getting a Studiolive is out of the question for me.

If I buy a MOTU 8pre, and then buy a separate device (like a Behringer ADA8000) with 8 preamps and an ADAT lightpipe output...will the MOTU WDM driver still work (and all 16 inputs [whether individually or in stereo groups] will appear to Windows)? I just want to make sure if I purchase two new units like this, I will still be able to use my ancient DAW that doesn't support ASIO lol
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Quick question about 8pre WDM/ASIO driver?

Post by mikehalloran »

Standalone, no, since that only does 8 channels at a time.

Many have used those Behgringer units to add 8 channels of analog through the ADAT port. If you are looking for a way to make an 8pre show 16 tracks in, I suggest reading the manual first. MOTU has it online.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro