How do I set up UltraLite AVB for Skype ... without echo?

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
ronausti
Primary DAW OS: Windows

How do I set up UltraLite AVB for Skype ... without echo?

Post by ronausti »

I've managed to set up a routing that is heard by Skype, and I can hear the other party, but I'm hearing myself with a bit of echo. I can't figure out how to get rid of the echo without either hiding my mic from Skype, or silencing the other party in my headset. The echo is only on my voice. If I record the call, my voice is recorded with the echo. However, I'm not heard in echo by the other party (judging from Skype test calls).

I'm using a program called TotalRecorder (TotalRecorder.com) to make the test recording. It is configured to put me on the left, the other party on the right. From the program's meters when recording and playing back, I can see that we're properly separated like that. But in my headphones both parties are played back as mono.

I might have some input unnecessarily duplicated or reversed, but if so, I'm not seeing it.

Anybody got a clean Skype setup already? Howdja do it?
ronausti

Re: How do I set up UltraLite AVB for Skype ... without echo

Post by ronausti »

Found "a" solution, although I'm not sure it's the right one....

Poking around (If I Remember Correctly), I unclicked a pair of Aux boxes in the routing, and the echo when away. How, when or why they originally got clicked, I don't know. Probably wasn't my doing.

Since then, the audio interface has been too busy crashing for me to check into this further. It also crashed before doing this "fix", so I doubt that's the reason. Am off now to post yet another message, about the crash. Oh, what a lovely weekend!
ronausti

Re: How do I set up UltraLite AVB for Skype ... without echo

Post by ronausti »

For the record, I've configured a nice clean configuration for recording Skype, with each party on its own channel, no echo.

Playing back the conversation requires changing one box on the routing grid (from Mic to From Cptr).

TotalRecorder records the conversation when TR is set to record "Software."

But now how do I get TR to record a mic or guitar input directly, that's another issue, needs to be solved in order to record landline phone. I suppose only TR support can tell me that.

done here, I spose.