Motu Audio Express Microphone recording

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
Max_Motu
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Motu Audio Express Microphone recording

Post by Max_Motu »

Hello All,

I was hopping someone can provide an answer to a configuration problem i am having?

Just purchased the Motu Audio Express. Plugged my microphone in, began recording audio voice work. However, I noticed everything I record on the microphone is only recording mono. I did go into Cuemix FX, set the mic input to stereo but still the same thing voice is recording mono not stereo paired. Do I have my set wrong? Is the motu unit set up this way where I have to purchase and connect a microphone y splitter to plug into mic input L & R?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Motu Audio Express Microphone recording

Post by mikehalloran »

You are recording one mic only? That will be a mono input. Are you assigning it to a mono or stereo track?

What's the real question here? You are telling us what you think you did but not the problem that is causing you to ask for help.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Max_Motu wrote:Hello All,

I was hopping someone can provide an answer to a configuration problem i am having?

Just purchased the Motu Audio Express. Plugged my microphone in, began recording audio voice work. However, I noticed everything I record on the microphone is only recording mono. I did go into Cuemix FX, set the mic input to stereo but still the same thing voice is recording mono not stereo paired. Do I have my set wrong? Is the motu unit set up this way where I have to purchase and connect a microphone y splitter to plug into mic input L & R?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Right. I don't think it's going to automatically duplicate your MONO input which is ONE channel of audio into TWO identical channels of MONO. Not sure why you can't just record a mono channel and on playback, simply route it to a stereo pair and pan it center?
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Max_Motu
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by Max_Motu »

Thanks for the feedback Mike and James,

I'm asking more from a configuration stand point(if it is possible). I will also be using the unit for podcasting with my microphone. I will be assigning voice work to a stereo track. I just wanted to know if there is a way to get stereo voice recording from one 1 mic input or would i have to use a y splitter.

Thanks again
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Max_Motu wrote:Thanks for the feedback Mike and James,

I'm asking more from a configuration stand point(if it is possible). I will also be using the unit for podcasting with my microphone. I will be assigning voice work to a stereo track. I just wanted to know if there is a way to get stereo voice recording from one 1 mic input or would i have to use a y splitter.

Thanks again
You don't wan what your DAW is but all (or all the ones I know) let you assign an input to a mono or stereo track. When you play back or mix, you can use your Pan to assign the R/L position in your mix. Most of time you will leave it panned center. This still lets you use stereo effects such as reverb, delays, eq etc. to give your vocal more depth. Stereo processing of a mono vocal is quite common -- you do not need to split vocal to do this.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro