Help with Motu 828mk3 Hybrid

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
layne81
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Help with Motu 828mk3 Hybrid

Post by layne81 »

Hello,

First things first.... Hardware/Software involved in my setup. And.... I am not seasoned in recording... I know enough just to lay down guitar tracks and program some drums....

Kemper Profiler Amplifier
Motu 828mk3 Hybrid Interface
JBL LSR305/LSR310S Speakers/Sub
Steinberg Cubase 5
Positive Grid Guitar Plugin

1. I want to be able to leave my guitar plugged into the Kemper profiler and be able to get a clean signal and hear whatever plugin I use for guitar (mainly Positive Grid) only... If the plugin calls for distortion... I only want to hear distorted guitar... no clean... There is a way to bypass and run through within the Kemper... The problem I am having is once I do that... I am hearing clean guitar along with the plugin used... Way annoying... I am trying to avoid unplugging and plugging in the Kemper or Motu... just leave it plugged into the Kemper. Anyone know a fix?

2. I want to have S/PDIF activated and the instrument/mic inputs on the front at the same time... I am also yet to figure this out... No sound... =-( I know this one is probably easy...

3. I want to be able to use my interface and JBL speaker/subs for all audio purposes.... Gaming, Music, Recording, etc. I want to completely ignore my windows sound card and hear everything through my studio speakers. ANOTHER probably easy fix that I CANNOT figure out. I get no sound again no matter what....

Any help is greatly appreciated...

Thanks,
Layne
monkey man
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Help with Motu 828mk3 Hybrid

Post by monkey man »

Hey Layne, I'm a Mac guy so I can't speak for Windows, but...

1. Use the Kemper's DI out. Not sure what it's called. It's either the Direct Output / Send or the Monitor Output. Apparently it's an authentic analog bypass, meaning no latency is introduced, as you probably know.

You can then either turn the main out volume down (in the output menu) - inefficient IMHO, or just mute the 828's Kemper ins... but not the input you've used for the aforementioned DI feed from the Kemper, obviously.

Now you simply monitor the plug-in from your DAW. If you place the plug on the DI-input channel, you'll not need to worry about "muting" the clean feed; you may even have the option of a blend percentage from within the plug. Obviously you'll encounter latency, the extent of which will be determined by the buffer settings of your DA

Personally, I'd do my utmost to ignore the plug and just use the Kemper. If you think the plug's worth using for some freaky sound or another, make sure you explore the Kemper's FX first. They're not talked about much, but on paper at least look mighty impressive in both depth and scope. Some off-the-planet stuff can be accomplished there if need be, I'm sure.

2. Check the MOTU Audio Setup app to see which inputs are enabled.

3. On the Mac you go to System Prefs and choose the MOTU as your computer's output. I suspect it's a similar deal on Windows.

Hope this helps mate. That's all I've got. I only knew about the Kemper 'cause I've researched it heaps since late 2011.

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
layne81

Post by layne81 »

I have purchased an input cable going from my line out to my motu 828mk3....

I am getting no sound yet i see the meter working on my pc but meter not working on 828mk3.

How do I make this work?

Please walk me through ...baby steps please...

Thank you,
Layne
gezrees
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by gezrees »

Did you ever figure this out? I have the same problem. I can see inputs but no output from a analog line ins..

Thanks
totally stuck
terrybritton

Post by terrybritton »

Are you folks using the Cuemix software that came with the unit, or are you doing this all "in the box" using the knobs on the front panel of the unit?

In Cuemix, you set up a mix from the second tab pointing the inputs you desire unmuted to the output you want (selected via the drop-down above the master slider). Each mix can have a separate set of inputs with unique volume, dynamics and EQ settings sent to a different output. Give the mix a name by double-clicking in the window above the master slider and typing in a name.

You can do the same from the front panel, but it is naturally more fiddly.

Terry
Computer: Sweetwater CS400v7 Intel Core i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz | 64Gigs RAM | Windows 11 Pro x64 |
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid

DAWs & Live: MOTU Digital Performer 11.31 | Cantabile Performer 4
Keyboard Synths: Kawai K5000s, Korg Wavestation
Controllers: NI Komplete Kontrol S-88 Mk3 & S-49 Mk2; Maschine Mk3 & JAM;
Akai MPK249 & 225, Alesis QX49, Behringer BCF2000 & FCB1010
Rack Modules: Ensoniq ESQm, Yamaha TX81Z, Wavestation SR

Tutorials: https://youtube.com/@CreatorsMediaTools