828x weirdness

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
atomheart411
Primary DAW OS: Windows

828x weirdness

Post by atomheart411 »

So I just got around to doing the latest firmware update for Windows7x64. Did the power cycle and left the usb cable in even thought I normally use thunderbolt. Opened up Cue mix and checked the meters because I have been having a strange thing showing up on analog channel 7. It always shows a strong signal. On usb there was noise all over the place, especially on the optical channels. Switched back to thunderbolt and thankfully everything went away EXCEPT the same old noise on channel 7. By the way it's on both the cue mix meters and the front face meter where it's in the yellow, minus 7 on the cue mix.
My computer is a custom build using an Asus P8Z77-V Pro/Thunderbolt motherboard. Also, none of the noise is audible. At least I can't seem to find it audibly. Just on the meter.Even if I plug a guitar into that channel it sounds fine. Is it just a bad channel or what? Anybody? :?: :?:
aidanmoore

Re: 828x weirdness

Post by aidanmoore »

Well,

I've got a 828x connected to a Gigabyte x99 Windows 8.1 system and I've tried both Thunderbolt and USB, and I've had to revert to USB.
With TB, I need a 256 sample buffer in ProTools for it to even work, and the Toslink B I/O is completely missing with TB.
I think the 828x firmware need a refresh....the MOTU site shows latest FW and drivers over 1 year old.
atomheart411

Post by atomheart411 »

Regarding firmware: In my ongoing discussion with Motu Tech support about my ongoing problems with the 828x I was just referred to this link for the newest firmware, version 1.06 release date 9/17/2014. I have been running 1.04. (http://www.motu.com/techsupport/technot ... echangelog)
I had seen reference somewhere to this but for what ever reason I couldn't find the download. Now I have it. I'm going to try it right now. Wish me luck, though I'll admit up front I am not optimistic. My unit seems to just keep getting buggier.The 'noise' on analog 7 now is appearing in the mains 1-2 mix bus. I can mute it and it disappears from the output and mix. I can apply a high pass filter and it disappears from any post metering. But regardless of any of the above it is ALWAYS on the input of analog 7. And all this happens without ANY connections to the unit, none. I'm thinking the unit itself needs servicing.
atomheart411

Post by atomheart411 »

Yeah, no problem installing firmware ver. 1.06. But it didn't change anything.
Harry
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by Harry »

I want also upgrade my 828x from 1.04 to FIRMWARE 1.06.
But if I proceed in the written way:

1)Turn off the device.
2)Disconnect the FireWire (or ThunderBolt) cable from back panel if it is connected.
3)Connect the device to the computer via USB.
4)Press and hold the Page knob on the front panel and turn on the device.
5)Release the Page knob when the bootloader version number appears on the LCD.
6) Open the firmware updater program and follow the on-screen instructions to install the update.

nothing happens. No bootloader version number appears on the LCD!
And yes, the power adapter is on place ;-)

Has anyone an idea?
OS 10.14.6, iMac i7.3,5 with 32 GB Ram, 828x, Miditimepiece AV, DP 10.00 (ger.)
MachFive 3, MSi, Ethno 1, Omnisphere 2, Sampletank 4, Forest Kingdom II, Desert Winds, EWQLSO-Silver, Real Guitar 2, VLP120, PLP120, VCP120, Liquid Saxophones, Elastic, The Resource, Wave Arts PowerSuite 4+5 and Master Restoration, Kontaktplayer, Absynth 5, Ni Action Strings etc.