828Mk II worked monday morning, monday evening no audio

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
metalmike
Primary DAW OS: Windows

828Mk II worked monday morning, monday evening no audio

Post by metalmike »

Hi,

I fired up desktop after powering on the MOTU and did a little gaming before work. Turned off monitors, turned off MOTU while shutting down the PC (nothing unusual with that as I've done it many times over the yrs). So I come home monday night and power things up as usual and I get no audio from motu (no lights flashing, nada). On power up it looks normal (lights up like xmas tree during initialization) but nothing after that. I've had this unit for some time now (5-7+ yrs maybe? Been a long time). I did a factory reset then set things back to 44.1khz from 48khz. Still nothing, updated drivers, nothing.

I think it's finally dead. I am looking at the MOTU Audio Express to replace it. BUT, I have 2 desktops, I had main DAW hooked via FW and out to my monitors, synthesizer into another pair of ins and my main desktop also into another set of ins so I could use one interface. Will this be possible with the Audio Express? I'm about to pull the trigger as this one seems to have what I require for inputs/outputs. Plus it's FW or USB interface. I am thinking with DC pwr I may not have to swap USB cable to main desktop to use if DAW is powered down?

Thanks in advance,

Mike
Win7 Home Premium, Ableton 9.1.7 NI Komplete 8 MOTU 828Mk II
Korg M50, misc. VSTi's.
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: 828Mk II worked monday morning, monday evening no audio

Post by mikehalloran »

I suggest that you call in on the MOTU support line and run whatever tests they tell you to confirm that your 828 is or is not dead. That would be a perfect time to ask your questions about a replacement.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
metalmike
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Re: 828Mk II worked monday morning, monday evening no audio

Post by metalmike »

It is way out of warranty for one and I may putz around with it this weekend but I ordered a Focusrite 6i6 which will be here next week (USB vs FW) and should fill my needs. Got bundle w/cables for $300 so I am satisfied with that price. If FW works after messing around I'll just put the Focusrite on my main PC which is on 24x7 once I get it rebuilt.

Just surprised that it seems to power on/post ok but I get nothing from it via the led's when windows sounds happen, etc..and installed latest driver/factory reset/etc...but again, have had it for some time (several yrs) so if it crapped out, so be it! Got my moneys worth I think (bought from buddy who had it for a little while when he changed his interface out). If things start working, I'll post again on it. Thanks for the suggestion though. I may try that, if they pick up the phone....

Mike
Win7 Home Premium, Ableton 9.1.7 NI Komplete 8 MOTU 828Mk II
Korg M50, misc. VSTi's.