Express 128 & windows 8.1

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
Rob Hannon
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Express 128 & windows 8.1

Post by Rob Hannon »

Hi

I've carried out a clean install of windows 8.1 and updated all the drivers from the Motu site however my system is not recognising my MIDI interface.

Within the Device Manager there is MOTU USB MIDI (WDM) for 64 bit windows under Universal Serial Bus Controllers however my Pro Tools 12 nor MIDI-OX can see the device.

The driver is version 4.0.5.9644 stored in C:\windows\system32\drivers\MotuUsb64.sys
Driver name oem24.inf
Device USB\VID_07FD&PID_0001\6&304f1c19&0&4

I would have expected to see something within the category of Software devices and/or Sound, Video and game controllers for this device?

You guys have been recommended to me by the pro tools forum as many have had similar issues.

Hope you can help
seemebreakthis
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: Express 128 & windows 8.1

Post by seemebreakthis »

Revisiting this mothballed thread.

I recently built a new Windows 10 machine and discovered a very similar issue as the one posted by OP. Only difference being my device is a MOTU Micro Lite. Basically "MOTU USB MIDI (WDM) for 64 bit windows" under Universal Serial Bus Controllers however nothing under Sound, Video and Game Controllers in Device Manager.

(This MOTU device was giving me other problems with my old PC, but not this issue. That's another story though)

Unplugging and re-plugging the device and problem is gone until shutdown/restart, as was suggested by OP in some other forums. But what a nuisance this is having to unplug / plug a cable every time you power on your machine.

I then discovered if you right-click on "MOTU USB MIDI (WDM) for 64 bit windows" then disable the device, followed by enabling the device once again, then voila the device works once again, and you have an entry under Sound, Video and Game Controllers. Until you shutdown / restart the machine, that is.

But now it is only a matter of automating this action of disabling / re-enabling the device whenever the machine is powered on. Yes, you guessed it - task scheduler.

Here is the solution:

1. Obtain "devcon.exe" - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/window ... est/devcon (I ended up installing the WDK and extracting devcon.exe from there. I did all of this in a virtual machine before copying devcon.exe back to my real machine in case you are wondering)

2. Write a powershell script with the following 3 lines of code

& "C:\<path>\devcon.exe" disable *PID_0001
start-sleep 1
& "C:\<path>\devcon.exe" enable *PID_0001

Note that your *PID_0001 may be different. Check within device manager to find out the "hardware ids" of your "MOTU USB MIDI (WDM) for 64 bit windows" device.

3. Inside task scheduler, create a new task to run this powershell script whenever someone logs in to Windows.

Done ! No more unplugging and re-plugging of the device.
Mike1023
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Re: Express 128 & windows 8.1

Post by Mike1023 »

:shake: for your mind and your time sake, wellness, never could find drivers for Windows 8.1 pro in Motus update menu for MIDI express 128 mainly because THERE AN'IT ANY!!!###*** Only for Win 10 and 11 that don't work in my case. Just use MIDI man and midisport stuff they seemingly have drivers for all their stuff and windows whichever and works fine with Windows for me A+, havevfun😎♥️🎶