Window 8 828mk3 usb pop and crackles

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
scolms
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Window 8 828mk3 usb pop and crackles

Post by scolms »

I'm currently running my 828mk3 hybrid on a fairly new high spec PC running windows 8.1
In Ableton i'm hearing pops and crackles at 128 samples/44.1 with just a dozen or so low cpu plugins running. Ableton is showing less than 40% utilisation and when i revert to another audio interface (built in MPC renassance driver) the pop and crackles go away running the exact same project file

I'm at a loss, and wondering whether it's a USB issue and whether to try and switch over to firewire (which means finiding a compatabile pci card - and opening up another world of pain)

the pops and crackles go away if i increase the sample to 256 or reduce the plug in instances but i wouldnt expect the 828mk3 to underpeform the audio interface in the MPC (which after all isn't even a pro level audio interface)

I'm ready to ditch MOTU all together- really dont expect to be hearing pops and clicks at 128 samples with just 12 plugins running and not even hit 50% utilisation on ableton.
Playa
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Window 8 828mk3 usb pop and crackles

Post by Playa »

Hi,

It does sound like a USB problem to me.I would make sure that you are plugging into a USB 2.0 port. If you are unsure try disabling USB 3.0 functionality in the BIOS of your PC. See if that makes a difference.
petetopkevinbottom
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Re: Window 8 828mk3 usb pop and crackles

Post by petetopkevinbottom »

Do you have many other USB devices connected to your computer? Dis-connect any USB HDD or other sound cards. Basically anything that could chew up the USB bandwidth. In device manager make sure your graphics card and 828mk3 aren't sharing the same IRQ.

If this all fails to help get a PCI firewire card. I use this one with an 828mk3 hybrid on Windows 7 64bit http://www.pyroav.com/products/PVC-815/ ... tails.html