2408 Mk3 all inputs white noise

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
jwwelbor
Primary DAW OS: Windows

2408 Mk3 all inputs white noise

Post by jwwelbor »

Oh despair! Suddenly, I have full 0db crackling noise on every channel rendering the inputs totally unusable. Output it working fine, but all inputs seem fried. I've tried analog and also external adat. They appear this way in Cubase and also in cuemix. I haven't a clue.

Now for a little history. So, my 2408 mk3 had been working like a friggin champ for years. I had it in a core 2 duo machine or something with a first gen 424 card. I got the bright idea that I wanted to put in into my other workstation an i7 on an ASUS p8z68-v pro and then the problems started. I had no idea that the z-68 chipset runs classic pci in some form of emulation, so that didn't work, of course. I bought a 2nd gen pci card, and it was working fine, then the motherboard took a dump. And after finally securing another (i didn't want to have to reinstall everything) I am back up and running... tonight I finally tried to do some recording and now all the inputs are fried. FML.

Any ideas anyone? Has this happened to anyone before? Is the pci card toast? Do I need to suck it up and buy something usb? I was planning that route and thought if I could get my rig running for $80 (what I paid for the pci card) then it would be worth it. uuuuugh.
jwwelbor

Re: 2408 Mk3 all inputs white noise

Post by jwwelbor »

Has anyone ever experienced this? Does it sound like a bad pci card?
Playa
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by Playa »

I would try performing a voltage reset on the device. You can do this by toggling the red voltage switch on the right hand side of the unit. Once you toggle the switch back and forth a couple of times set the switch back to 115v and let the unit sit for a few minutes, and try it again!
jwwelbor

Post by jwwelbor »

Tried and it didn't work, unfortunately. I did notice that disconnecting the cable that connects to the pcix 424 card stops the noise. I can see the inputs tracking properly via the meters. So there is definitely something up with the pci card.

I tried uninstalling / reinstalling drivers etc... and no change. I swapped to a different pci slot, no change. I just don't understand why this same card worked fine on the other motherboard... and not now.

Going to try calling MOTU tomorrow, but from what I've read, I have very low expectations. I'm thinking it might be time to unload and move on.

Anyone want to buy a 2408 a pci 424 card and a pci-x 424 card?
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Let us know how things go talking with MOTU's support. I wouldn't assume the worst.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Hmmm a PCIx card should be backwards compatible with PCI.

Could there be some required Windows drivers that you need to get from Microsoft?

I used to have that support issue in a company where I worked. A few builds of NT -- but not all -- had a crippled version of a required .dll. They made the same mistake in one build of XP. It was bad enough that we had to update a splash screen with a link to MS to get and reinstall the full-function .dll.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
jwwelbor

Post by jwwelbor »

Well, miraculously, when I called support this AM all was working. Sometimes just having someone else one the phone to make you feel stupid is all it takes!

I had previously disabled the hyperthreading, and turbo modes on the processor, thinking that might fix it, but this AM I turned them back ON and did a "REPAIR" on the drivers with both the USB and the PCI drivers installed. (I have previously installed and uinstalled and rolled back and lord knows what else to the drivers with no luck)

I honestly don't know exactly what made it suddenly start working again, but at this point I don't really care! I just want to rock!

Thanks for the help guys. I'm glad to be operational again!